BLOODY-DISGUSTING

BLOODY-DISGUSTING (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/index.php)
-   Classic Horror (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Dracula (1931) (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/showthread.php?t=29751)

Bela Lugosi III 03-12-2008 08:13 PM

Dracula (1931)

The other post on this is for the Spanish version. So this is the English version.

Really cool movie. Very gothic atmosphere. Awkward at times but that just made it creepier.

The ending was a little demeaning for the Dracula character. Dracula running with a woman in his arms? C'mon, he lost of lot of his 'Fuck you Van Helsing! I AM sexy and cool!' attitude. Seeing a look of fear on his face kinda' made him less scary. If a 'monster' can be afraid of something, why shouldn't we find that fear and kill him with it?

I love Bela Lugosi's portrayal of the Count. Very cool. Very seductive in some ways. Also, a little 'gay' when he would come onto Renfield.

Dwight Fry is very underrated when it comes to talking about the film. i think he did a great job! Very creepy!

I saw 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' a while ago and it was good up until the part where Dracula transforms into a huge Vampire. WTF? After that it just turned into another generic vampire flick. What a shame.

Dracula (1931) - 4.5/5
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - 2/5

Philosophy&Mixtapes 03-13-2008 07:08 AM

I watched this film a few years ago for an intro to film course. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember thinking it was pretty awesome.

Biohazard 03-13-2008 10:51 AM

DRACULA

I have lived with this movie for 40 years....the things that never grow old are the Lugosi performance and the sets....

The Spanish version is NOT better than this one...also beware of the version with the Glass scrore added...this movie is poetic in it's grave silences....

ZantiMisfit 03-13-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard (Post 1032593)
The Spanish version is NOT better than this one

The Spanish version is better shot (the American version is surprisingly static, very much highlighting it's stage play origins). But there's no comparison between the actor's playing the title role, and that makes the American version overall better in my book.

superfry 03-13-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard (Post 1032593)
I have lived with this movie for 40 years....the things that never grow old are the Lugosi performance and the sets....

The Spanish version is NOT better than this one...also beware of the version with the Glass scrore added...this movie is poetic in it's grave silences....

I agree wholeheartedly.

While, I'm not yet 40 (gettin there though!), this movie scared the bejeezus out of me as a little kid and was the movie responsible more than any other for my love of horror.

I'll always have a soft spot for it.

tibber 03-15-2008 02:58 PM

karl freund is the real star of the show here for me, even if it is rather static (though that satic feeling actually adds to the atmosphere in places, i think.)

Bela Lugosi III 03-16-2008 04:43 AM

I bought the 75 Year Ann. for Dracula and Frankenstein, seperate DVDs of course. They both have a SWEEEEET documentary trailing the horror movie genre origins all the way back to Caligari and the silent films. Especially those of Universal back in the 1930s. It's one of my favorite documentaries ever! I watch it when there is nothing to do! I don't get tired of it at all...

Anyways, the Dracula DVD has an alternative audio track that plays the Phillip Glass soundtrack to the film. I have to say that I enjoy Dracula without the music but I enjoyed it with the soundtrack as well. Although some parts do not seem to match the action in the movie.

I bought the soundtrack about a year and a half ago. It's one of my favorite soundtracks ever! The track, "The Castle" is the creepiest thing I've ever heard!

Blake 03-18-2008 11:11 AM

This is my all time favorite movie.
<------hints my tattoo.
It made me love Bela Lugosi. The atmosphere of this film has never been matched and never will be.(in my opinion) After seeing this movie I went out and got every movie he's been in that I could get my hands on. I also bought every book about Lugosi I could get my hands on. Dracula is what he will always be known for. It is a damn shame because he has some great movies besides this one. I guess it is better to be remembered for something rather than nothing.

Biohazard 03-18-2008 03:26 PM

DRACULA

HEY BLAKE!

Well, I see you are a MORGUS fan. I'm from New Orleans, too...I really miss those Saturday nights so many years ago. Good for you! Thanks.

Blake 03-19-2008 12:54 PM

Thats good to hear man. Morgus is why I got into horror movies in the first place. I use to watch it with my Maw Maw every week.