Off Topic ~September 2017~ Late Night Thoughts...

The title says it all.... whatever. If it doesn't fit anywhere else post it here.
travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: Off Topic ~September 2017~ Late Night Thoughts...

Post by travisbickle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am

Midnight-Kroovy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 am
Yeah, I was thinking that. I'm pretty sure Anselmo helped him out during the Manson Family era of his career. Not sure if they are still close though, I get the impression VanBebber has had issues and burned lots of bridges. Someone of his talent should really be able to muster small funding at this stage of his career.
Yeah, pretty sure the guy has a bit of a drinking problem. All of those years of hell trying to get The Manson Family finished probably drove him to the bottle. A few years back he was unhappy with the DVD transfer of Deadbeat so he left a bunch of drunken angry messages on Synapse Films president Don May's machine. Here's one...

http://dark7.org/a/jimvanbebber/jimvbreturns.mp3

:lol: You know what they say, there is no genius without a touch of madness!

Got tickets to see these over the next 7 days;

Cruising (35mm)
Mystery Midnight Screening on 35mm (£1 tickets, no clues, just a forgotten gem that hasn't been shown for many years)
Hellraiser (35mm 30th Anniversary Screening with exclusive Mondo Posters and new Vinyl Soundtrack)
Class of Nuke Em High Vol 1 + 2 Double Bill (Lloyd Kaufman in attendance)

Then roll on October for amazing horror screenings!
I usually have to drive all the way downtown to see any good shit, but not this year... all of this is gonna be only 15 minutes away from where I live!

Particularly pumped for the new Suspiria 4K restoration. Gonna be amazing seeing (and hearing) that on the big screen.
Monster Squad and Fright Night too?! Fuck me...

Cryptus
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Cryptus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 am

travisbickle wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am
Midnight-Kroovy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 am
Yeah, I was thinking that. I'm pretty sure Anselmo helped him out during the Manson Family era of his career. Not sure if they are still close though, I get the impression VanBebber has had issues and burned lots of bridges. Someone of his talent should really be able to muster small funding at this stage of his career.
Yeah, pretty sure the guy has a bit of a drinking problem. All of those years of hell trying to get The Manson Family finished probably drove him to the bottle. A few years back he was unhappy with the DVD transfer of Deadbeat so he left a bunch of drunken angry messages on Synapse Films president Don May's machine. Here's one...

Got tickets to see these over the next 7 days;

Cruising (35mm)
Mystery Midnight Screening on 35mm (£1 tickets, no clues, just a forgotten gem that hasn't been shown for many years)
Hellraiser (35mm 30th Anniversary Screening with exclusive Mondo Posters and new Vinyl Soundtrack)
Class of Nuke Em High Vol 1 + 2 Double Bill (Lloyd Kaufman in attendance)

Then roll on October for amazing horror screenings!
I usually have to drive all the way downtown to see any good shit, but not this year... all of this is gonna be only 15 minutes away from where I live!

Particularly pumped for the new Suspiria 4K restoration. Gonna be amazing seeing (and hearing) that on the big screen.
I'll have to drive 3 and a half hours, but I'm making the trip just for the Suspiria 4K.

Speaking of which, I drove 2 hours today just to see Jason Lives, Fulci's Zombie, and TCM2 all in a super classy old school cinema, as part of a yearly horror fest they do here in NC. it was so cool to experience these movies, not with casuals who couldn't give a shit, but with actual horror fans who know and love the films they're watching. As ridiculous as something like an Italian Exploitation film can be with the funny sounding dubbing, everyone was actually mostly quiet and respectful of the film, and we all collectively winced and groaned at all the gore, proving that it's still effective to the day.

Friday VI however illicited tons of laughter and fun, as was the point of the film. It's got me realizing why it's probably the most fun entry of the entire franchise. Every one applauded at the end, which was really something special. Actually every film I saw got applause at the end.

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:09 am

Cryptus wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 am

I'll have to drive 3 and a half hours, but I'm making the trip just for the Suspiria 4K.

Speaking of which, I drove 2 hours today just to see Jason Lives, Fulci's Zombie, and TCM2 all in a super classy old school cinema, as part of a yearly horror fest they do here in NC. it was so cool to experience these movies, not with casuals who couldn't give a shit, but with actual horror fans who know and love the films they're watching. As ridiculous as something like an Italian Exploitation film can be with the funny sounding dubbing, everyone was actually mostly quiet and respectful of the film, and we all collectively winced and groaned at all the gore, proving that it's still effective to the day.

Friday VI however illicited tons of laughter and fun, as was the point of the film. It's got me realizing why it's probably the most fun entry of the entire franchise. Every one applauded at the end, which was really something special. Actually every film I saw got applause at the end.
It'll be worth it. From what I've heard the new restoration looks fucking amazing. It'll also give me a sample of what to expect from the new upcoming Blu (that I still need to pre-order).

I headed downtown a few years ago to catch Zombie with a game crowd. Good times. And last month I saw a 35mm print of TCM just a few days before Tobe died. :( The print was beat to hell but it kinda added to the charm. It was like something you would've seen on 42nd street in the 80's. I also saw Evil Dead and Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer at that same downtown arthouse theater.

I'd love to see some Friday The 13th on the big screen with The Final Chapter being at the top of the wishlist of course... You'd think that Regal would throw in a few with Friday The 13th being in Oct...

I also hear that some states are getting the new 4K restoration of NOTLD instead of The Shining. Fingers crossed that FL does... I'd much rather see that over The Shining.

Cryptus
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Cryptus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 am

travisbickle wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:09 am
Cryptus wrote:

It'll be worth it. From what I've heard the new restoration looks fucking amazing. It'll also give me a sample of what to expect from the new upcoming Blu (that I still need to pre-order).

I headed downtown a few years ago to catch Zombie with a game crowd. Good times. And last month I saw a 35mm print of TCM just a few days before Tobe died. :( The print was beat to hell but it kinda added to the charm. It was like something you would've seen on 42nd street in the 80's. I also saw Evil Dead and Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer at that same downtown arthouse theater.

I'd love to see some Friday The 13th on the big screen with The Final Chapter being at the top of the wishlist of course... You'd think that Regal would throw in a few with Friday The 13th being in Oct...

I also hear that some states are getting the new 4K restoration of NOTLD instead of The Shining. Fingers crossed that FL does... I'd much rather see that over The Shining.
Funny enough...I was actually supposed to see Suspiria today in Charlotte. I had initially chosen it over the Splatterflix festival (what I ended up doing today) which was in a different town, because Suspiria was more important to me. But then at the last minute they announced the Regal Horrorfest and that the Suspiria 4K would be screening on the 2nd in Charlotte again as well. So now I get the best of both worlds. Even if it means postponing that beautiful Suspiria showing.

_Blakelock_
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by _Blakelock_ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 am

Is there a site that lists all the older horror movies being shown in theaters? I'd love to see some in my area but have no idea where to look.

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:15 am

We should maybe make a classic screenings thread.
travisbickle wrote:

:lol: :lol:

travisbickle wrote:

That's a really nice line up, I like those double bills! They are showing Fright Night and Monster Squad here too, the cast is gonna be at the Monster Squad screening and they are filming for a documentary, I imagine they will be doing it in the states too.

There's a lot of Stephen King showings at the moment here to celebrate his Bday, I might try and catch one of the rarer showings.
Cryptus wrote:

I'd love to see some Fulci on the big screen, it's lots of fun watching classics with a passionate crowd. They have a F13 marathon a couple of times a year here but it's from 11pm-9am, not sure how fun that would be... I'm warming up to the idea though as they treat it like a sleepover + there's Pizza and beer.

Willowfang
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Willowfang » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:32 am

Sadly, this is way funnier than it should be....

It was the cow...

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I never believed in jinxs but whenever I watch the football with my mate James we ALWAYS lose :x

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

If a man dreams of a piece of cake...and the next day a cake is given to him for no reason other than it being a gift, does it even matter if we cut down all of the rainforests?

_Blakelock_
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by _Blakelock_ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Decimus wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm
If a man dreams of a piece of cake...and the next day a cake is given to him for no reason other than it being a gift, does it even matter if we cut down all of the rainforests?
You gotta cut out drugs for a few days man.