Connect with us

Movies

Danielle Harris Reveals ‘Stake Land’ Webisodes!

Published

on

While visiting the set of Dark Sky Films’ Stake Land in the cold, upstate Catskill Mountains, leading lady Danielle Harris spilled the beans about a series of webisodes that were shot for each of the main characters in the film. You can read all about them beyond the break. Being helmed by Jim Mickle (Mulberry Street), the flick takes place following a global spread of vampirism.
Kelly McGillis plays a nun who joins a small team of survivors – including Danielle Harris – as they make a treacherous journey north to safety through the war-torn U.S.

With there being so little dialogue in Stake Land (watch for our full report soon), and virtually no back stories, some of the lead actors and actresses in the movie have directed their own shorts, which will be available for viewing before the film’s release.

I just directed a webisode for Stake Land,” Danielle Harris told Bloody-Disgusting. “The webisodes are a nice little look inside our lives before we met. They’re short, maybe four to seven minutes each. It’s a great chance to sort of see all the directors’ styles, and how we differ from one another, which I don’t think is done very often, giving the fans the chance to sort of become emotionally invested in these characters before they watch them. A little snippet into their lives.

Further conversation revealed that Danielle Harris would be singing in her back story.

I come out in a beautiful, risqué, very short, cleavage gown… I’m just kidding. No, there’s no Sequin gowns in this movie! It’s just a nice way to sort of introduce who Belle is. We’re sort of having a little honkey tonk. We’re singing – Jim Mickle (director) and Adam Folk (producer) were out there with me – one playing the banjo, one playing the guitar. I got a chance to sing, and I have a horrible cold – I don’t have the greatest voice to begin with. I guess I can kind of carry a tune. But, um… I gave it my all. I’m the girl you usually have to bribe when I’m drunk – cause I don’t get up and do kareoke, no matter how much money you put on the table. I did it once, because Quentin Tarantino directed me up on stage and I just couldn’t resist, but other than that, I just don’t get up on stage. So – this was new for me. It will be interesting to see. I think it will be on the soundtrack, which I’m really nervous about.

When asked if it was ever considered to go into a studio:

Jim is really about leaving it real and keeping it real and not having it look like we’ve done it in the studio, pitch corrected. I don’t really care, to be honest,” said Danielle, shrugging it all off. “Whatever. I’m not a singer, I’m an actress. But it was fun to do. Again, I have this cold, and I couldn’t really hear myself, so it’s probably a little bit off key. Or a lot off key. But I got the crowd going, which is all that really mattered. And then I left, drove six hours, slept, got up and drove to the mountains and watched the sun rise for my short. I shot for twelve hours today. And now I’m going to bed…

Advertisement
Click to comment

Movies

Dev Patel’s ‘Monkey Man’ Is Now Available to Watch at Home!

Published

on

monkey man

After pulling in $28 million at the worldwide box office this month, director (and star) Dev Patel’s critically acclaimed action-thriller Monkey Man is now available to watch at home.

You can rent Monkey Man for $19.99 or digitally purchase the film for $24.99!

Monkey Man is currently 88% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with Bloody Disgusting’s head critic Meagan Navarro awarding the film 4.5/5 stars in her review out of SXSW back in March.

Meagan raves, “While the violence onscreen is palpable and painful, it’s not just the exquisite fight choreography and thrilling action set pieces that set Monkey Man apart but also its political consciousness, unique narrative structure, and myth-making scale.”

“While Monkey Man pays tribute to all of the action genre’s greats, from the Indonesian action classics to Korean revenge cinema and even a John Wick joke or two, Dev Patel’s cultural spin and unique narrative structure leave behind all influences in the dust for new terrain,” Meagan’s review continues.

She adds, “Monkey Man presents Dev Patel as a new action hero, a tenacious underdog with a penetrating stare who bites, bludgeons, and stabs his way through bodies to gloriously bloody excess. More excitingly, the film introduces Patel as a strong visionary right out of the gate.”

Inspired by the legend of Hanuman, Monkey Man stars Patel as Kid, an anonymous young man who ekes out a meager living in an underground fight club where, night after night, wearing a gorilla mask, he is beaten bloody by more popular fighters for cash. After years of suppressed rage, Kid discovers a way to infiltrate the enclave of the city’s sinister elite. As his childhood trauma boils over, his mysteriously scarred hands unleash an explosive campaign of retribution to settle the score with the men who took everything from him.

Monkey Man is produced by Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions.

Continue Reading