Some of us really do know how to read!
TheNobody
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Re: Best Horror Fiction

Post by TheNobody » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:34 am

nancylives! wrote:
Mayday wrote:
FrederickKrueger wrote:I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I really fucking loved Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. I read it at a coworker's suggestion and needless to say, I never doubted him again.

I love Stephen King and other horror, but this shit was just so weird and so unconventionally written that I read the entire thing in one day. It had me on the edge of my seat and unsettled the shit out of me. When I finished it, I knew without a doubt that it was in the top 5 of my all-time favorite books. Actually, it's probably my second favorite book behind Watchmen.

It's incredibly suspenseful and the ending left me feeling completely empty inside. It was incredible.

That's one of the most incredible books I've read in recent years. Absolutely perfect old school heyday horror. I'm dying to see more by Auerbach, but at the same time, the fact that he turned a series of blog entries into a fantastic novel may be lightning in a bottle that won't strike twice.
i just finished this, based on y'all's rec. i fucking loved it. couldn't put it down, was scared to pick it up. very creepy.
Oh well, I have to be the one...

Just finished it, and can't say I was impressed by the ending. I felt that there was a rather strong start with a culmination in the chapter "Boxes", but after that the plot fell apart.

evelynwilliams
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by evelynwilliams » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm a HUGE Clive Barker fan! The Thief of Always has been one of my favourite novels for years. I recently lent out my copy of The Hellbound Heart and I think it has disappeared for good :(

I'm also a big fan of Bret Easton Ellis. I know most people would argue that his work isn't necessarily horror, but I read all of his books in chronological order one summer and had nightmares for six months after. I dare you to try it.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:58 pm

TheNobody wrote:
nancylives! wrote:
Mayday wrote: That's one of the most incredible books I've read in recent years. Absolutely perfect old school heyday horror. I'm dying to see more by Auerbach, but at the same time, the fact that he turned a series of blog entries into a fantastic novel may be lightning in a bottle that won't strike twice.
i just finished this, based on y'all's rec. i fucking loved it. couldn't put it down, was scared to pick it up. very creepy.
Oh well, I have to be the one...

Just finished it, and can't say I was impressed by the ending. I felt that there was a rather strong start with a culmination in the chapter "Boxes", but after that the plot fell apart.
Consider yourself forever branded a miscreant and troglodyte on these boards for not loving a book the rest of us do. :evil: :twisted: :P
evelynwilliams wrote:I'm a HUGE Clive Barker fan! The Thief of Always has been one of my favourite novels for years. I recently lent out my copy of The Hellbound Heart and I think it has disappeared for good :(

I'm also a big fan of Bret Easton Ellis. I know most people would argue that his work isn't necessarily horror, but I read all of his books in chronological order one summer and had nightmares for six months after. I dare you to try it.
I'm not as big a fan of Barker, but those happen to be my fave two books of his. I'm still disappointed we never got the movie adaptation of The Thief of Always that was promised years ago. Loved that book to death.

WickedWoman
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by WickedWoman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Mayday wrote:I read dozens of authors, but among my fave horror writers:
Stephen King, H.p. Lovecraft, Brian Lumley, James Herbert, Michael Slade, Douglas Clegg, Joe Hill, Robert McCammon, Brian Keene, Robert Malfi, Ramsey Campbell, Simon Clark, F. Paul Wilson, Graham Masterton, Robert Jackson Bennett, Peter Straub, Michael Marshall, Ray Bradbury, Sarah Pinborough, David Wong, Steve Alten, Tim Lebbon, Clive Barker, Noel Hynd, Stephen Laws, Scott Nicholson, Charles Grant, Phil Rickman, James A. Moore, Rick Hautala, Gary A. Braunbeck, Mark Morris, Michael West

Not strictly horror, but at least thriller writers who often venture into horror territory:
Michael Crichton, John Connolly, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Blake Crouch, Andrew Pyper, Thomas Harris, Scott Smith, Peter Clines, Christopher Priest
Not a big fan of the some of those former Leisure imprint writers. Thomas Harris, King, Lee Child, William Peter Blatty, Michael Connelly. Even Tess Gerritsen is good, though clearly a thriller writer her first 5-6 books were excellent and somewhat gorey because one character is a detective and the other a pathologist.

But don't let names fool you. I've read some damn fine short stories from all different places. That's my new kick at the moment. There are only so many horror tropes, and only so many way to freshen them up. It seems like the short story is making a come back since it doesnt have to fulfill any big publishing requirements. And by that I mean -- NO FLUFF!! Some authors have to fill out the books because they want paperbacks to be a certain size and thickness, instead of being a great 220 pages, they force the fluff in so its a weak 380 pages.

MaxReedLeo07
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by MaxReedLeo07 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:43 am

I'm sure it fails the Actual Book class, but the Walking Dead Graphic novels are pretty unique. I locate myself searching through them time and again again. Do my essay