Best Horror Fiction

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Best Horror Fiction

Post by Mayday » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 pm

gwally wrote:I like Richard Matheson and I'm currently reading a collection of short stories by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
Oh yeah, forgot about Matheson 'cause he mainly wrote short stories and I only own one or two of his collections. He was a true master.

Kalem Klub
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Kalem Klub » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 am

In terms of horror I really like the work of Joe Hill, Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, David Nickle, Tony Burgess, Gemma Files, and Shirley Jackson. And, as is obvious with my username, H.P. Lovecraft.

And I know he became famous for creepypasta, but Kris Straub's stuff is worth a look: apart from Candle Cove, he's written other short stories that are consistently good. I'm saving up to buy his horror anthology soon.

FrederickKrueger
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by FrederickKrueger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:47 pm

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I really fucking loved Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. I read it at a coworker's suggestion and needless to say, I never doubted him again.

I love Stephen King and other horror, but this shit was just so weird and so unconventionally written that I read the entire thing in one day. It had me on the edge of my seat and unsettled the shit out of me. When I finished it, I knew without a doubt that it was in the top 5 of my all-time favorite books. Actually, it's probably my second favorite book behind Watchmen.

It's incredibly suspenseful and the ending left me feeling completely empty inside. It was incredible.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:14 pm

FrederickKrueger wrote:I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I really fucking loved Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. I read it at a coworker's suggestion and needless to say, I never doubted him again.

I love Stephen King and other horror, but this shit was just so weird and so unconventionally written that I read the entire thing in one day. It had me on the edge of my seat and unsettled the shit out of me. When I finished it, I knew without a doubt that it was in the top 5 of my all-time favorite books. Actually, it's probably my second favorite book behind Watchmen.

It's incredibly suspenseful and the ending left me feeling completely empty inside. It was incredible.

That's one of the most incredible books I've read in recent years. Absolutely perfect old school heyday horror. I'm dying to see more by Auerbach, but at the same time, the fact that he turned a series of blog entries into a fantastic novel may be lightning in a bottle that won't strike twice.

FrederickKrueger
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by FrederickKrueger » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:45 am

Mayday wrote:
FrederickKrueger wrote:I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I really fucking loved Penpal by Dathan Auerbach. I read it at a coworker's suggestion and needless to say, I never doubted him again.

That's one of the most incredible books I've read in recent years. Absolutely perfect old school heyday horror. I'm dying to see more by Auerbach, but at the same time, the fact that he turned a series of blog entries into a fantastic novel may be lightning in a bottle that won't strike twice.
I agree. I have been a little iffy on his next pieces of work. Of course I will read it without hesitation but I can't say whether I will be as impressed.

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Jack Ketchum I dig, Off Season is one of my favourite horror novels.

Richard Laymon is a fun pulp horror author. Midnight's Lair is my fav I've read so far.

Dean Koontz is decent - Intensity (High Tension is an adaptation of this) and Watchers are great reads.

I also read alot of RL Stine as a kid :mrgreen:

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:41 am

lotta good stuff mentioned so far. i just dropped penpal into my amazon shopping cart, looks great. my favorite jack ketchum book is red, about a man seeking vengeance for...his dog. it's sad and beautiful. i've only read a few richard laymon books, as i find him a little too rape-y for my tastes, but i did like island. joe hill fucking rocks, everything, and mayday summed him up perfectly. you must read matheson's short stories, and i highly recommend anything by ray bradbury, especially something wicked this way comes. i've recently discovered gregory lamberson, who i like a lot, especially black creek and carnage road, the former being a full novel, the latter a novella. staying in the small press department, d. nathan hilliard is proving himself to be pretty awesome: spider stalk is epic, dead stop awesome zombie entertainment, and nightwalk a wonderful micro-examination of a group during a macro-event. read anything by joe lansdale. his most strictly horror stuff are the very disturbing nightrunners and especially act of love, one of the sickest reads i've ever undertaken. his deadman's road collects a bunch of lansdale's straight horror-western stuff, and is well worth a read. come closer by sara gran is a fucking awesome, well-written and economical book about possesion.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Mayday wrote:

i just finished this, based on y'all's rec. i fucking loved it. couldn't put it down, was scared to pick it up. very creepy.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Mayday wrote:

i just finished this, based on y'all's rec. i fucking loved it. couldn't put it down, was scared to pick it up. very creepy.
Glad you enjoyed it! That was one of the first books I ever got after I got my first Kindle, and it's one of the best purchases I made for Kindle. One of my top-25 if not higher horror novels ever. They just don't write 'em like that any more.

The Bear Jew
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Bear Jew » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Mayday wrote:
nancylives! wrote:
Mayday wrote: That's one of the most incredible books I've read in recent years. Absolutely perfect old school heyday horror. I'm dying to see more by Auerbach, but at the same time, the fact that he turned a series of blog entries into a fantastic novel may be lightning in a bottle that won't strike twice.
Glad you enjoyed it! That was one of the first books I ever got after I got my first Kindle, and it's one of the best purchases I made for Kindle. One of my top-25 if not higher horror novels ever. They just don't write 'em like that any more.
I read these on Reddit's Nosleep and immediately fell in love with these stories, especially Boxes!