What Book Did You Last Read?

Some of us really do know how to read!
nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: What Book Did You Last Read?

Post by nancylives! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 am

meg: nightstalkers. jonas taylor and family are at it again, bumping uglies with a host of prehistoric marine monsters. son david taylor in particular takes center stage, as he tries to overcome the trauma he experienced at the end of hell's aquarium. i was pleased to see terry taylor get a jucier role, but once again, dani is relegated to almost nothing. zachary wallace shows up from the loch series and contributes, i imagine, the book's most controversial moments (which i didn't mind; i like what alten is doing here). as is always the case, alten is a sturdy writer and he particularly does a fabulous job describing space. his descriptions of the various leviathans are also excellent, and alten once again proves that he is the master of telling stories about warring gargantuas. i won't lie, there are some groan-inducing passages, particularly when alten is trying to spice things up, but that's to be expected, as there's always a little space devoted to boots-knockin in alten's work. lizzie and bela of course return, and alten does a really nice job of characterizing the sister megalodons. contains many helpful illustrations; the pictures of the undersea denizens were, i felt, unnecessary, as alten has already described them beautifully, but the maps were a welcome and helpful treat. the meg series features some of the best paperback covers in the business, and nightstalkers is no exception. i often found myself just staring at it. good entertainment, bring on book #6.

at mayday's recommendation, i read the delightful my best friend's exorcism by grady hendrix. this book was a breath of fresh air. abby and gretchen meet one another in middle school, in the finest year we have seen on this mudball, 1982. bonding over music, movies, and their shared adolescent experiences, the two become best friends, until their relationship is severely tested by...demonic possession. among the many brilliant things that hendrix does--crafting believable characters, patiently building the story, infusing each chapter with excellent 80's music, releasing unrestrained horror and gore--i think my favorite was the elegant way he approaches the excorcism, eschewing a traditional christian fix, and finding a unique way to allow abby and gretchen center stage and the opportunity to resolve things in a way that draws on their beautiful friendship. smart and satisfying, my best friend's exorcism is wholly entertaining and relatable. i highly recommend getting the version with the awesome vhs-style cover. i'll be looking for a poster of this!

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 am

nancylives! wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 am
at mayday's recommendation, i read the delightful my best friend's exorcism by grady hendrix. this book was a breath of fresh air. abby and gretchen meet one another in middle school, in the finest year we have seen on this mudball, 1982. bonding over music, movies, and their shared adolescent experiences, the two become best friends, until their relationship is severely tested by...demonic possession. among the many brilliant things that hendrix does--crafting believable characters, patiently building the story, infusing each chapter with excellent 80's music, releasing unrestrained horror and gore--i think my favorite was the elegant way he approaches the excorcism, eschewing a traditional christian fix, and finding a unique way to allow abby and gretchen center stage and the opportunity to resolve things in a way that draws on their beautiful friendship. smart and satisfying, my best friend's exorcism is wholly entertaining and relatable. i highly recommend getting the version with the awesome vhs-style cover. i'll be looking for a poster of this!

The Obsidian Chamber - Preston & Child. - The latest in "The Pendergast Series", I was highly disappointed in this book. The plot was thin and seemed extremely contrary to what had previously been established with some of the main characters. There was nothing engaging in this novel, as the story just seemed to churn on much longer than it needed to for no good reason. This one felt like it was written as a contractual obligation rather than the authors having a good story.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm

The Billionaire's Graveyard - Damian Connolly. For a free ebook novella, it was an OK read even if it was a bastardization rip-off of Jurassic Park and A Sound of Distant Thunder.

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Freddy_Lives wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:00 pm
Do you like how it ended?? I hated how ambiguous it was because it implied that there may be a sequel.
I didn't have a problem with it at first but now that you mention it I would've liked to have at least some closure on the Priest's storyline. But it's a minor gripe for an otherwise great book. I love how progressively sinister it gets. Jet black..

It is just purely awesome but the whole ending and turtle non sense only detracted it in my opinion.

The Stand is still my favorite it's just good all the way through.
Yeah it comes off the rails a bit when a cosmic turtle comes into play. But it's a testament to how great of a book it is when something so off the wall can't keep it from being a classic read. I haven't read "The Stand" yet. I'm currently mowing through King's catalogue. Presently I'm fully immersed in "The Dead Zone". Speaking of which; I actually think "Cronenberg's film is my favorite Stephen King adaptation. "Shawshank" & "The Green Mile" are great and all but it's a chore to sit through them now. For whatever reason if "The Dead Zone" is on I have to watch it. It's aged like a fine wine & Walken is flat-out great as John Smith. I miss the days when he was still a serious actor. "Carrie" is up there too.

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Sea Hag wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm
Yeah it comes off the rails a bit when a cosmic turtle comes into play. But it's a testament to how great of a book it is when something so off the wall can't keep it from being a classic read. I haven't read "The Stand" yet. I'm currently mowing through King's catalogue. Presently I'm fully immersed in "The Dead Zone". Speaking of which; I actually think "Cronenberg's film is my favorite Stephen King adaptation. "Shawshank" & "The Green Mile" are great and all but it's a chore to sit through them now. For whatever reason if "The Dead Zone" is on I have to watch it. It's aged like a fine wine & Walken is flat-out great as John Smith. I miss the days when he was still a serious actor. "Carrie" is up there too.
Both the book and movie are great and actually the show wasn't half bad either...........well at least the first season or two.

Pet Sematary for me is still the best representation of King's work, probably because he wrote the screenplay and it's just so close to the book.

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Freddy_Lives wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 pm
Pet Sematary for me is still the best representation of King's work, probably because he wrote the screenplay and it's just so close to the book.
I haven't read that yet either but I'm not a big fan of the film. I have a soft spot for Fred Gwynne though. Before I forgot to add "The Mist" as an upper echelon King adaptation. Specifically the black & white version. (i don't watch the color version anymore) I just rewatched it recently; still really great.

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Sea Hag wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm
I haven't read that yet either but I'm not a big fan of the film. I have a soft spot for Fred Gwynne though. Before I forgot to add "The Mist" as an upper echelon King adaptation. Specifically the black & white version. (i don't watch the color version anymore) I just rewatched it recently; still really great.
Read Pet Semetary it's hauntingly sad and one of the best spiral into madness stories. Not to mention it has a lot of good Maine speak.

The Mist is one of the few where I do actually prefer the movie to the book. Marcia stole the show she played such a fucking religious nut so well.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:37 pm

The Widow - Fiona Barton. I picked this one up at a "Friends of the Library" bookshop 'cause it was only $2. I was skeptical about all the hoopla around it, but this one really did live up to the hype. Told in the now common style of alternating viewpoints every chapter and unreliable narrators, a la Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, it sets a slow-burn plot building a little at a time towards an really amazing conclusion. If you like books like those I mentioned, this one is a must read.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 am

On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers. An adventure tale of the actual pirates of the Caribbean mixed with heavy magic/voodoo elements. It started out interesting enough, but towards the later parts felt repetitive and less interesting.

thesassycynic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by thesassycynic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Mayday wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:37 pm

The Widow - Fiona Barton. I picked this one up at a "Friends of the Library" bookshop 'cause it was only $2. I was skeptical about all the hoopla around it, but this one really did live up to the hype. Told in the now common style of alternating viewpoints every chapter and unreliable narrators, a la Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, it sets a slow-burn plot building a little at a time towards an really amazing conclusion. If you like books like those I mentioned, this one is a must read.
This sounds right up my alley. Thanks. I was looking for something new to read.