Michael Slade

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Michael Slade

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I've read all of Michael Slade's novels which are about the Canadian Royal Mounties "Special X Unit", which specifically handles serial killers and ultraviolent crimes. The books are steeped in horror, metal, mythology and history.

While we're still waiting for new books (it's been about 5 years since the last one), the one that started it all, Headhunter, has been "reimagened" and a limited signed collector's edition is being made available through Cemetery Dance:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/headhunter.html

They are also prepping an 8-episode TV series based on the book being filmed this October. I imagine it will be something like Hannibal, only more gruesome (if you can believe that, and if they stay true to the novels). No network or studio (Netflix, Amazon) has been announced yet so far as I can see, so hopefully it gets picked up by one that will allow all the sex and violence to be shown, like HBO or FX.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/breakingnews/

If you can find Headhunter, I strongly recommend this book, in the vein of Silence of the Lambs, but much more twisted and demented and full of genuine shockers. (Or at least it was when I read it way back when.)

The whole series is really good, though some books are stronger than others, and I'm pretty sure they're all available as e-books now, at least on Amazon.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: Michael Slade

Post by nancylives! » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 pm

the first slade book i read was ghoul. i found it in a used bookstore in costa rica, and then spent the next couple of nights in a tent in the middle of the forest reading it with complete awe. i was immediately drawn in by the insane level of graphic violence, the endlessly fascinating procedural pursuits of the rcmp, the vividly drawn and entertaining characters, and the loving references to the world of horror. after ghoul, i read the rest of the slade groups output, and haven't been disappointed. i've always thought the earlier novels in particular (headhunter, ghoul, cutthroat, ripper, evil eye, and primal scream) would have made excellent movies; siked to see they're getting a show.

thanks for the info, mayday.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am

Ghoul was the first book of Slade's I read as well, as it promised metal, Lovecraft (I think) and horror mixed with serial killers. Plus, it had a supporting blurb from Alice Cooper on the cover. It really was an incredible book, and prompted me to seek out more by Slade. That's when I found Headhunter which really blew my mind, and I was hooked from that point on.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 am

i also have to say, as paperback covers go, this one for ghoul is just fucking amazing. definitely drew me in.