Comic book discussion thread

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mr. Awesome
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Comic book discussion thread

Post by Mr. Awesome » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Some villains are about to have a very bad day.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Mr. Awesome wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am
Looks like this upcoming Marvel Legacy reboot thing is going to be great. Finally bringing back the real characters and putting an end to this lame PC era in Marvel that made them go to shit for a while. Looking forward to it.
by "pc era" are you referring to comics that feature women and people of color? have you been reading the unstoppable wasp, the hulk, captain marvel, ms. marvel, black panther, the crew, spider-man, etc? these books are fantastic. there's nothing "pc" about presenting a world that isn't completely white and male. if that's not what you're saying, and you simply find these new titles and directions uninteresting, and long for a return to how things were, then i apologize.

character replacement is an important part of progression. dc used to be quite good at this (although it was pretty much always white male to white male), as in jay garrick-barry allen-wally west or alan scott-hal jordan-john stewart/guy gardner/kyle rayner. things change. spider-man/peter parker is my favorite character ever, and i'm about ready to go ahead and cede the role to miles morales. let peter fade into a more supporting place a la hank pym, and let miles be the lead. it's a different world out there; kids need new heroes. i can't think of the last time i found the marvel universe to be as engaging as it's been lately. the last thing i want is steve rogers and tony stark boringly restored to their previous incarnations.

now, the numbering is really, really important to me, and i'm super excited about this.

Mr. Awesome
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mr. Awesome » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 pm

No. It's shit and it needs to end.

If they want to bring them in as new and original characters, I'm all for that. It would be great. It's how they should be doing it. Replacing characters with them though? Hell no. That was a terrible move.

Marvel hasn't had anything good going on in a few years. I'm about to get back into it (at least try to) with the new Punisher that I posted above.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Mr. Awesome wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 pm
No. It's shit and it needs to end.

If they want to bring them in as new and original characters, I'm all for that. It would be great. It's how they should be doing it. Replacing characters with them though? Hell no. That was a terrible move.

Marvel hasn't had anything good going on in a few years. I'm about to get back into it (at least try to) with the new Punisher that I posted above.
why? what's shit about it and why does it need to end? we're talking now like almost sixty years of continuity where marvel is concerned. marvel's greatest strength has always been its' willingness to make efforts to mirror the joys, anxieties, and experiences of the times. personally, i've never given a shit about, say iron man, and i've strongly disliked his rise to architect of everything, primarily under bendis' watch. at the moment, marvel titles reflect a vibrant and realistic approach to storytelling, and the infusion of much-needed diversity is a big part of that. have you read the crew? it's fucking amazing. and while i don't care for his universe building, bendis' (and ponsor's) run on spider-man is dynamite. miles morales is a great character who happens to be multi-racial; his spidey isn't great because he's multi-racial. i've never found the hulk more interesting with jennifer walters, and you're really missing out if you're writing the crew off just because it's about black characters. i get it if you want to see classic. iconic versions of iron man and cap (i'm just naming these as quick examples; i don't know if your issues lie elsewhere), but how does it hurt to be more inclusive? and personally, i think tony stark as an AI is both pretty cool, and a pretty logical step for the character. and shit, dude, the wasp, squirrel girl, these are fantastic titles.

and have you been reading any of the x-men books? they're awesome. they manage to capture the flavor of their heyday (to me, the late seventies and eighties) without going backwards. kitty pryde has been elevated to something really special, something she's been building to since her late shadowcat days. these characters, these heroes are so old, man. they can't stay the same. doing things like making falcon captain america and elevating carol danvers to captain marvel are brilliant, logical story-telling concepts. i think marvel is, for the first time in a long time, really interesting. i will say, i don't care for what's happening in the amazing spider-man, but i don't fault them for taking chances with peter parker and trying to make him...different. i just don't care for iron-manning him. i'm ready to let him go, let him slip into the background, at least for awhile.

Mr. Awesome
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mr. Awesome » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:16 pm

I don't care if the characters are black. My favorite character is Blade and I would be just as annoyed if they replaced him with a white guy.

Hell, the only comics I'm currently reading don't even feature a white male.

Fathom - Aspen is female
Lady Death - Self explanatory
The Magdalena - Female
Vampirella - Female
Spawn - Al Simmons is black
Savage Dragon - Green

These are all original characters. None of them were changed to become what they are.

Mr. Awesome
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mr. Awesome » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:18 pm

I was never a Peter Parker or Miles Morales fan. Only Spider-man I have ever liked is Miguel O'Hara, Spider-man 2099.

There are a lot of Spider-men running around these days. That doesn't bother me.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 pm

i didn't mean to make assumptions, mr. awesome, i was just going based on your "pc" comment. so what, specifically may i ask, don't you like about the current direction of marvel comics and why is it "pc"?

0Father0Satan0Sun
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by 0Father0Satan0Sun » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Have you guys checked out Aliens: Dead Orbit? It's a fantastic series and now there is only one issue left to come out. Sadly, this Xenomorph series is only a 4-part story.

Willowfang
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Willowfang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:51 pm

The real problem is "firing" an established character and replacing them with ANYONE is it's a shit move and I could say "never works" but once in a while it does, but often then bow to fan pressure and change it back claiming it wasn't fan pressure, not that anyone ever believes it.

They've made changes before that weren't PC ones and it still didn't go over well and they had to change things back

Anyone else as Captain America but Steve Rogers. Falcon, USAgent, Bucky, etc

Jim Rhodes or anyone else as Iron Man

With Thor... well the Odinson was never really gone, so fans were "okay" so long as the Odinson wasn't gone too long and he was ofter still tooling around, so fans knew he wasn't gone and it was some kind of "humility" story really as that was also apart of his character, releaning humility ever now and then

You can have other spider characters, but replacing Peter Parker as THEE Spiderman never works, should have gave Miles his own title, (even if it was over in Ultimates, but he'd still be pretty hated I bet, such a whiney character), O'Hare had his own title, didn't bother anyone, Doc Ock as Spidey was a shit storm, as was One More Day, (was stupid as hell to mess with MJ)

Over in DC, not sure how somethings went really, but then GLs were always changing, so maybe fans of that had "some" tolerance for change ups. I remember people being majorly pissed with all the replacement Supermans after Supes' "Death"

The problem isn't with a new PC hero, but with replacing a loved and established character. I doubt I'll ever get back into collecting comic, but still, most of these changes... sometimes they piss me off, other times I'm like "WTF are you thinking this time, can't you look back and see this never works?"

All it does is generate hate mail, force you to get rid of a new character that could have been viable if they didn't show up as a replacement, and then also waste a year or so of everyone's time with worthless chronology.
It was the cow...

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 pm

0Father0Satan0Sun wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm
Have you guys checked out Aliens: Dead Orbit? It's a fantastic series and now there is only one issue left to come out. Sadly, this Xenomorph series is only a 4-part story.
i love this comic. the story and art are excellent.

i don't feel like marvel is replacing existing characters as much as they're adding to them. a lot of these guys become super boring, and writers have a difficult writing stories that show progress, as opposed to fan-service-y arrested development. but the unstoppable wasp #7 shows just how fucking awesome janet van dyne, a perpetually underused, underappreciated character, is, while delving into her relationship with her new namesake, ole hanky's daughter. in many a=instances, marvel is allowing parallel characters to exist and interact, which i love, allowing the classics to bridge the newbies.

and my feelings about peter parker, my all-time favorite fictional character, are largely due to my fatigue at seeing him mismanaged for most of the last 15 years. from the end of stracynski's run, as spidey was becoming an avenger and civil war was approaching, i just haven't been able to get very invested. there's been some great stories here and there, but nothing approaching roger stern's run or jm demmatteis' or most of stracynski's. so i say let's do something different. let miles take the forefront, let peter focus on science for awhile, give him time to percolate. making him rich sucks. frankly, i would like his marriage to mary jane restored, their baby that was stolen from them by the green goblin returned, and for peter to continue an adult, married life. miles can be the teenager now. i don't mind change--superior spider-man was, honestly, much more interesting and tension-provoking then anything that's peter parker has been up to as of late--but it has to be hung on good writing. comic fans can be very scared of change; i'm not one of these. but good writing (and art) takes characters in new directions without forgetting their essence, and without overly retreading boring status-quo for the sake of people who fear change.