Comic book discussion thread

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Comic book discussion thread

Post by Mayday » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Iggy wrote: Latest pick up!

Iggy, with your 'latest pickups' where/how do you store those big plastic cases? Debating about getting my rare books CGC'ed and wondering where I would put them afterwards.

Iggy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Iggy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Mayday wrote:
Iggy wrote: Latest pick up!

Iggy, with your 'latest pickups' where/how do you store those big plastic cases? Debating about getting my rare books CGC'ed and wondering where I would put them afterwards.
You can get CGC longboxes on ebay. Same as regular longboxes except cgc size. I'd also recommend getting CGC sized mylar bags as they make the slabs pop visually when looking at them.

Now if you want individual containers for the slabs, MyComicshop.com has storage boxes for each slab.
Last edited by Iggy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Iggy wrote: You can get CGC longboxes on ebay. Same as regular longboxes except cgc size. I'd also recommend getting CGC sized mylar bags as they make the slabs pop visually when looking at them.
Coolness. Thx for the tips.

Iggy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Iggy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 pm

This was my only acquisition over the holidays, since i'm saving up for AF15. A gift from my parents....

I'm using the photo from the Ebay listing it was purchased in. A far more detailed and clear photo than any I could take myself.

So pumped to finally own Beast's first appearance! Looks real good next to Giant Size X-Men 1....now I just have to get an X-Men 94 at some point down the line. :D

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Iggy wrote:This was my only acquisition over the holidays, since i'm saving up for AF15. A gift from my parents....

I'm using the photo from the Ebay listing it was purchased in. A far more detailed and clear photo than any I could take myself.

So pumped to finally own Beast's first appearance! Looks real good next to Giant Size X-Men 1....now I just have to get an X-Men 94 at some point down the line. :D
very nice, iggy, very nice!

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am

i really, really hafta give some love to marvel comics. despite their crazy expensive cover prices (3.99 per issue? really hard to justify collecting comics with two young children), marvel seems to have decided a few years ago that they will be more diverse, more inclusive, and more representative of this fine country of ours (which is fine in terms of diversity, if little else). the amount of women and people of color on both sides of the ball--in and out of comics--is absolutely wonderful and heartening. it's important. it's important that kids see themselves represented, see others represented. i hope the mcu follows suit... black widow movie! sam wilson becomes captain america!

at any rate, i recently read the one-shot x-men prime, which is setting up the x-verse going forward. i haven't followed the x-men too closely in several years, but this comic does a nice job of setting the stage, as a very adult kitty pryde returns to the mansion to lead things. wonderful teams seem to be setting up, and this come hearkens back to the good ole days--both the og x-men from issue 1 and the new x-men from giant size #1--without being to smarmy or all fan-servicey. sure there was a little, but in appropriate amounts.

also read animosity 1-6. this series is awesome. the animals become intelligent and decide they aren't thrilled with the way they've been treated by humans. my fantasy.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm

nancylives! wrote: also read animosity 1-6. this series is awesome. the animals become intelligent and decide they aren't thrilled with the way they've been treated by humans. my fantasy.

You should watch CBS's "Zoo". I'd recommend the James Patterson books on which it's 'loosely' based, but they suck compared to the TV show.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Mayday wrote:
nancylives! wrote: also read animosity 1-6. this series is awesome. the animals become intelligent and decide they aren't thrilled with the way they've been treated by humans. my fantasy.

You should watch CBS's "Zoo". I'd recommend the James Patterson books on which it's 'loosely' based, but they suck compared to the TV show.
i will one hundred percent do that. animals revolting is something i think about a lot, so, i'm down.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 am

Hi All,

New to the board just this past week. I am a big comic collector of DC and horror comics. I only need about 150 issues of Detective Comics and less than 100 of Batman to have full runs. Also a big fan of The Flash and Aquaman.

I've been reading the posts in this thread and noticing all of the cool purchases you guys have posted.

I must admit I am not a big fan of CGC. I've bought about 15 over time and I've had everyone of the popped and put into thick mylar and strong backing. I want to be able to read the comic (very gently) and then collect it outside of the CGC case. I feel they are like crypts for comic books. What do you guys think? Do you only collect CGC and what are your thoughts on them? I know they are for investment purposes and the do display really well, but you can never read it. Or, do you buy some shitty copy to read, but by the CGC for display or to sell later?

I also like Avatar's Night of the Living Dead series and Tales From the Crypt. Glad to see they brought it back.

I also collect horror magazine. Have every Fangoria ever put out, I only need about 20 Famous Monsters (mostly early issues) and I only need 4 Horrorhound issues (2, 3, 4 and 8).

Mr. Awesome
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mr. Awesome » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am

Looks like this upcoming Marvel Legacy reboot thing is going to be great. Finally bringing back the real characters and putting an end to this lame PC era in Marvel that made them go to shit for a while. Looking forward to it.