Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Some of us really do know how to read!
User avatar
Hoodlum Yeonsan
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Post by Hoodlum Yeonsan » Mon May 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Mayday wrote:Image
or are you just an indie comic snob?
Regardless of what their current quality is, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Superman, The X-Men, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Hulk, Captain America, Daredevil, The Flash, Aquaman, etc., etc., etc., have been around and popular for many decades, and EVERYBODY, including those who have never picked up a comic book, know who they are. Marvel and DC are the two companies that established the comics that are still famous and popular today way back in the 40s-60s. Only a handful of Archie comics and Judge Dredd have been around anywhere near as long. All the indies only came into being in the late 80s-mid-90s, and most of their current popular titles have only been around for a few years. There's no real mystery there.
People are not this loyal to tv characters and books. Why such loyalty for comics and certain characters?

User avatar
vampiremcmuffin
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Post by vampiremcmuffin » Mon May 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Hoodlum Yeonsan wrote:
Mayday wrote:Image
or are you just an indie comic snob?
Regardless of what their current quality is, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Superman, The X-Men, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Hulk, Captain America, Daredevil, The Flash, Aquaman, etc., etc., etc., have been around and popular for many decades, and EVERYBODY, including those who have never picked up a comic book, know who they are. Marvel and DC are the two companies that established the comics that are still famous and popular today way back in the 40s-60s. Only a handful of Archie comics and Judge Dredd have been around anywhere near as long. All the indies only came into being in the late 80s-mid-90s, and most of their current popular titles have only been around for a few years. There's no real mystery there.
People are not this loyal to tv characters and books. Why such loyalty for comics and certain characters?

Because they have been pop culture icons for decades that children and people of all ages love.

I really don't know what you are trying to understand here.
Image

User avatar
Hoodlum Yeonsan
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Post by Hoodlum Yeonsan » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

vampiremcmuffin wrote:
Hoodlum Yeonsan wrote:
Mayday wrote:Image
or are you just an indie comic snob?
Regardless of what their current quality is, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Superman, The X-Men, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Hulk, Captain America, Daredevil, The Flash, Aquaman, etc., etc., etc., have been around and popular for many decades, and EVERYBODY, including those who have never picked up a comic book, know who they are. Marvel and DC are the two companies that established the comics that are still famous and popular today way back in the 40s-60s. Only a handful of Archie comics and Judge Dredd have been around anywhere near as long. All the indies only came into being in the late 80s-mid-90s, and most of their current popular titles have only been around for a few years. There's no real mystery there.
People are not this loyal to tv characters and books. Why such loyalty for comics and certain characters?

Because they have been pop culture icons for decades that children and people of all ages love.
Why does just being 20-30 years old lead to lower sales?

User avatar
vampiremcmuffin
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Post by vampiremcmuffin » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 am

Its all just a matter of what the fans like and what they don't. Look at The Walking Dead. Before the tv series it was pretty underground compared to other comics but now you cant even find the first 100 books without paying hundreds of dollars and up for each book.

I have been a Spawn fan for years. Ever since the animated series in the late 90s I have loved Spawn. I wish it was more popular than it is but like I said, its all about what the fans like. I have issues 1-9 and 246-250. 1, 9 and 250 are key issues and they arent worth very much because the series gets very little exposure.

Even the bigger and more popular DC and Marvel books arent worth much price wise except for a certain. The most valuable book I own is a Joker #1 from 1975. I paid $30 for it and if I could get it graded and it got a 9 rating I could probably get maybe $200 for it but that is still doubtful.
Image

User avatar
Hoodlum Yeonsan
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Why are the Big 2 comics so dominant?

Post by Hoodlum Yeonsan » Tue May 02, 2017 1:25 am

vampiremcmuffin wrote:Its all just a matter of what the fans like and what they don't. Look at The Walking Dead. Before the tv series it was pretty underground compared to other comics but now you cant even find the first 100 books without paying hundreds of dollars and up for each book.

I have been a Spawn fan for years. Ever since the animated series in the late 90s I have loved Spawn. I wish it was more popular than it is but like I said, its all about what the fans like. I have issues 1-9 and 246-250. 1, 9 and 250 are key issues and they arent worth very much because the series gets very little exposure.

Even the bigger and more popular DC and Marvel books arent worth much price wise except for a certain. The most valuable book I own is a Joker #1 from 1975. I paid $30 for it and if I could get it graded and it got a 9 rating I could probably get maybe $200 for it but that is still doubtful.
Everyone is selling their comics for 4$. I assume trades cost the same. i just don't get why are so many Big 2 guys so loyal.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest