Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Favorite Horror Authors

Post by Mayday » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Mayday wrote: We'll have to compare hauls.
Well, I hope you have better luck than I did. I got a bunch of the Lee Child/Reacher books I needed and a Dexter book, but that's about it for stuff I was actually searching for. I did grab a bunch of sci-fi and thrillers that looked interesting, but nowhere near as good a haul as I managed at this library's big sale back in the Fall. My one really exciting pickup was the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development for $13. Hooray for Bluths!
Had a really good day. Library sale opened today and I went to town. Spent $54.50 for 55 books. A tad under a buck a book. Got a lot of mysteries and thrillers. As far as horror goes, I found two advance reader paperbacks from Cemetery Dance - The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom and December Park by Ronald Malfi. Ransom's book was 50 cents and Malfi's was $1. I got three of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz, one large paperback for 50 cents and two smaller pbs for $1. All of them in excellent condition. I also found about seven Bill Pronzini mysteries. I have a ton of horror novels by him as well so I grabbed them fast. Got a lot of good mysteries in both paperback and hardback, all in really nice shape. Overall, it was a pretty good sale.
I be so jelly. Wish I could have found a Ronald Malfi book. :x

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Thu May 04, 2017 9:32 am

Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote: Well, I hope you have better luck than I did. I got a bunch of the Lee Child/Reacher books I needed and a Dexter book, but that's about it for stuff I was actually searching for. I did grab a bunch of sci-fi and thrillers that looked interesting, but nowhere near as good a haul as I managed at this library's big sale back in the Fall. My one really exciting pickup was the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development for $13. Hooray for Bluths!
Had a really good day. Library sale opened today and I went to town. Spent $54.50 for 55 books. A tad under a buck a book. Got a lot of mysteries and thrillers. As far as horror goes, I found two advance reader paperbacks from Cemetery Dance - The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom and December Park by Ronald Malfi. Ransom's book was 50 cents and Malfi's was $1. I got three of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz, one large paperback for 50 cents and two smaller pbs for $1. All of them in excellent condition. I also found about seven Bill Pronzini mysteries. I have a ton of horror novels by him as well so I grabbed them fast. Got a lot of good mysteries in both paperback and hardback, all in really nice shape. Overall, it was a pretty good sale.
I be so jelly. Wish I could have found a Ronald Malfi book. :x
:lol: Sorry bud. Better luck in the fall. Our next library sale is in October.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote: :lol: Sorry bud. Better luck in the fall. Our next library sale is in October.
I may have to send YOU my wish list to find books for me.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote: :lol: Sorry bud. Better luck in the fall. Our next library sale is in October.

Most book sales are hit and miss. Some of the largest I've ever seen have been sponsored by larger Goodwill stores. The library sale I go to is hit and miss. Mysteries are the largest group of books, then Romance. I did find an excellent hardback book of The Films of Christopher Lee one year and paid $1 for it. Was thrilled to find it. You never know.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu May 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote:

Most book sales are hit and miss. Some of the largest I've ever seen have been sponsored by larger Goodwill stores. The library sale I go to is hit and miss. Mysteries are the largest group of books, then Romance. I did find an excellent hardback book of The Films of Christopher Lee one year and paid $1 for it. Was thrilled to find it. You never know.
Yeah, I know. I did much better last fall at the same library. My sister has been attending them for years, and even used to volunteer at them, and has always said it's hit or miss. For whatever reason it seems the latter ones do better than the spring ones. I'm just mad that I live in a large city and next to another metropolitan one, both with transient military populations, and the libraries here don't even have big book sales any more. The bastards.

vampiremcmuffin
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by vampiremcmuffin » Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 am

Anne Rice
Stephen King
Poe
Faulker
H.P. Lovecraft

Presbyter94
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Presbyter94 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 am

Susan Hill and James Herbert for me

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Tue May 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Presbyter94 wrote:Susan Hill and James Herbert for me
I loved James Herbert. Haunted is one of my all time favorites, as is Seplechre. Who can forget The Fog, The Rats, Lair and The Survivor. He was one the very best. May he RIP.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Presbyter94 wrote:Susan Hill and James Herbert for me
I loved James Herbert. Haunted is one of my all time favorites, as is Seplechre. Who can forget The Fog, The Rats, Lair and The Survivor. He was one the very best. May he RIP.
During the 70s and 80s he wasn't called the British Stephen King for nothing. In his prime, Herbert had the best horror stories around. Unfortunately, in his later years he was mostly tapped out and very few of his late books were anywhere near as good.

seandeville
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by seandeville » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 am

Clive Barker in his day, but last decades he really hadn't produced anything up to the quality of his old stuff
Horror has a new face...and it isn't pretty

https://seandeville.com/