Favorite Horror Authors

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Favorite Horror Authors

Post by Mayday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Yes, thanks. Very cool. I already have 3 out of 4 of these but haven't read them yet. I know when I read the synopsis to Mr. Shivers that I HAD to buy it. Found Jackals a few years ago as well as Gone South. The only one I don't have is They Hunger by Scott Nicholson.
Don't know if you've tried any other Bennett novels, but although his subsequent ones were all very different, they are all pretty awesome as well. The Troupe is actually kind of the style of Mr. Shivers, but The Company Man is a pretty "out there" book, as is American Elsewhere. They both take some patience, as it takes awhile for the true nature of what's going on to be revealed, but both just get better and better as they go along.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Yes, thanks. Very cool. I already have 3 out of 4 of these but haven't read them yet. I know when I read the synopsis to Mr. Shivers that I HAD to buy it. Found Jackals a few years ago as well as Gone South. The only one I don't have is They Hunger by Scott Nicholson.
Don't know if you've tried any other Bennett novels, but although his subsequent ones were all very different, they are all pretty awesome as well. The Troupe is actually kind of the style of Mr. Shivers, but The Company Man is a pretty "out there" book, as is American Elsewhere. They both take some patience, as it takes awhile for the true nature of what's going on to be revealed, but both just get better and better as they go along.
Thanks. I will have to look for those. Hell, I haven't even read Mr. Shivers yet. I read the book jacket and it sounded so damn good, I bought it immediately. I am so far behind. Someday, when the find my corpse (I hope they find it), it will either be under a stack of books, DVDS, blu-rays or comic books. It will all depend with stack falls first.. :lol:

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Thanks. I will have to look for those. Hell, I haven't even read Mr. Shivers yet. I read the book jacket and it sounded so damn good, I bought it immediately. I am so far behind. Someday, when the find my corpse (I hope they find it), it will either be under a stack of books, DVDS, blu-rays or comic books. It will all depend with stack falls first.. :lol:
Haha. You need to get on Mr. Shivers RIGHT NOWWWWW!!!
And I can empathize. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle I got for free or .99, about 2 dozen books on my wish list with the 2 e-libraries I use, a stack of comics, all my old comics from decades ago I want to re-read, plus a pile of books and DVDs I've accumulated from library book sales last year, and I'm getting ready to go to another library book sale this weekend. Somehow, despite my love of books, I never find time to read enough these days.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote: Don't know if you've tried any other Bennett novels, but although his subsequent ones were all very different, they are all pretty awesome as well. The Troupe is actually kind of the style of Mr. Shivers, but The Company Man is a pretty "out there" book, as is American Elsewhere. They both take some patience, as it takes awhile for the true nature of what's going on to be revealed, but both just get better and better as they go along.
Haha. You need to get on Mr. Shivers RIGHT NOWWWWW!!!
And I can empathize. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle I got for free or .99, about 2 dozen books on my wish list with the 2 e-libraries I use, a stack of comics, all my old comics from decades ago I want to re-read, plus a pile of books and DVDs I've accumulated from library book sales last year, and I'm getting ready to go to another library book sale this weekend. Somehow, despite my love of books, I never find time to read enough these days.
Yes sir. I have a library sale coming up at our local library May 3-6, so I will be there as well.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote: Yes sir. I have a library sale coming up at our local library May 3-6, so I will be there as well.
We'll have to compare hauls.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Mayday wrote:
Hammer Fanatic wrote: Yes sir. I have a library sale coming up at our local library May 3-6, so I will be there as well.
I will make it a point to put Mr. Shivers next on my list. I'm reading Horns by Joe Hill right now and I am just not digging it.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Hammer Fanatic wrote:
Mayday wrote:
I will make it a point to put Mr. Shivers next on my list. I'm reading Horns by Joe Hill right now and I am just not digging it.
:| It took me awhile to get into Horns 'cause it's so unconventional and strange, but once it clicked, I happily devoured the book to the end. I thought was brilliant like Hill's dad in his prime.
But I can understand how it can be offputting to some peeps.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Mayday wrote:
Well, I hope you have better luck than I did. I got a bunch of the Lee Child/Reacher books I needed and a Dexter book, but that's about it for stuff I was actually searching for. I did grab a bunch of sci-fi and thrillers that looked interesting, but nowhere near as good a haul as I managed at this library's big sale back in the Fall. My one really exciting pickup was the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development for $13. Hooray for Bluths!

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am

Mayday wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Well, I hope you have better luck than I did. I got a bunch of the Lee Child/Reacher books I needed and a Dexter book, but that's about it for stuff I was actually searching for. I did grab a bunch of sci-fi and thrillers that looked interesting, but nowhere near as good a haul as I managed at this library's big sale back in the Fall. My one really exciting pickup was the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development for $13. Hooray for Bluths!
My library sale begins tomorrow, May 3 and runs to May 6th. Will let you know. I don't expect a lot of horror, but they do get a lot of good mysteries/thrillers.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Wed May 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Mayday wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Had a really good day. Library sale opened today and I went to town. Spent $54.50 for 55 books. A tad under a buck a book. Got a lot of mysteries and thrillers. As far as horror goes, I found two advance reader paperbacks from Cemetery Dance - The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom and December Park by Ronald Malfi. Ransom's book was 50 cents and Malfi's was $1. I got three of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz, one large paperback for 50 cents and two smaller pbs for $1. All of them in excellent condition. I also found about seven Bill Pronzini mysteries. I have a ton of horror novels by him as well so I grabbed them fast. Got a lot of good mysteries in both paperback and hardback, all in really nice shape. Overall, it was a pretty good sale.