Best Stephen King novel to start with

Some of us really do know how to read!
gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Best Stephen King novel to start with

Post by gwally » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am

Nothing everyone else hasn't already mentioned, but I would suggest Carrie. What better way to ease into King than through a young girl learning to use her newly discovered powers?

Different Seasons is a collection of four King novellas: Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body and The Breathing Method. They aren’t “horror,” but I think they represent some of his best work.

The Bachman Books contains two of my favourite novels: The Long Walk and Rage (the latter is no longer in print so look for used).

If you would rather dive right in instead of testing the waters, I would suggest IT or The Stand. Both are fantastic reads, but I prefer IT.

The Vigilante
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Vigilante » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:33 pm

gwally wrote: The Bachman Books contains two of my favourite novels: The Long Walk and Rage (the latter is no longer in print so look for used.
How are the other two stories in that collection? Roadwork and The Running Man?

Anyone have any thoughts on those two?

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:25 pm

The Vigilante wrote:
gwally wrote: The Bachman Books contains two of my favourite novels: The Long Walk and Rage (the latter is no longer in print so look for used.

Roadwork is so-so.
The Running Man is awesome, though it differs greatly from the equally awesome movie. Don't expect the glib comebacks.
ImageImage

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am

Mayday wrote:Roadwork is so-so.
The Running Man is awesome, though it differs greatly from the equally awesome movie. Don't expect the glib comebacks.
I'm not as enthusiastic about Running Man as Mayday, but I do agree that it's well worth the read.
I also agree that Roadwork is so-so. I will occasionally re-read The Long Walk and I almost always catch myself trying to remember what Roadwork was like and whether or not I should give it another read. On the rare occasion when I do give it a read, I am reminded why I can never remember it. It's just an unremarkable story for me.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I would probably go with Salem's Lot first. I remember reading it when I was 10 or 11 and couldn't put it down. It made me want to read every book he ever put out. Sadly, I no longer have that record intact. I think the last one I read by King was Bag of Bones.

Post Ghost
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Post Ghost » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Anything from Carrie through the Tommyknockers - that's a lot of books, King in his prime. He owned the 1980s, and created a body of work comparable to Poe and Lovecraft. Pet Sematary is the scariest book ever written, known to give readers vivid nightmares. After his family pulled a drug intervention after Tommyknockers, King's work dipped in quality. After his car accident awhile later, it took another dip. I don't read his new work, but I'll sometimes revisit the material he composed in his prime. He truly was the King of Horror, and is pretty much a living legend at this point. It would be like if Poe were still around cracking corny jokes.

Spider-Gwen
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Spider-Gwen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 am

I like some of his short stories/novellas. I read The Green Mile before I saw the movie which was good but I preferred the book.

Another good one to start with is Cujo.
Kiss me kiss me kiss me
Your tongue is like poison
So swollen it fills up my mouth
Love me love me love me
You nail me to the floor
And push my guts all inside out

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:26 am

Post Ghost wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm
Anything from Carrie through the Tommyknockers - that's a lot of books, King in his prime. He owned the 1980s, and created a body of work comparable to Poe and Lovecraft. Pet Sematary is the scariest book ever written, known to give readers vivid nightmares. After his family pulled a drug intervention after Tommyknockers, King's work dipped in quality. After his car accident awhile later, it took another dip. I don't read his new work, but I'll sometimes revisit the material he composed in his prime. He truly was the King of Horror, and is pretty much a living legend at this point. It would be like if Poe were still around cracking corny jokes.
Kings "cocaine" era is definitely his best period. His 80's output is pretty wild.

thefloyd
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by thefloyd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 am

Mayday wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:25 pm
The Vigilante wrote:

Roadwork is so-so.
ImageImage
The Running Man book is so much better than the film. It's not even in the same ballpark

Rage is probably my favorite novel even though Stephen King wants nothing to do with it.

Want to mention Secret Window Secret Garden, pretty good read

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 am

thefloyd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 am
Mayday wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:25 pm
ImageImage
The Running Man book is so much better than the film. It's not even in the same ballpark

Rage is probably my favorite novel even though Stephen King wants nothing to do with it.

Want to mention Secret Window Secret Garden, pretty good read