Stephen King Appreciation Thread

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Stephen King Appreciation Thread

Post by Mayday » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Glass Eater wrote: I get it, between the books​ I've read I've easily enjoyed Pet Semetary and IT more than Gerald's Game. As far as what book has actually scared me the most GG takes the cake.

There was too much shit in there that hit my buttons. Therefore I won't forget it, and I do believe it's underrated.
That's cool. I can understand that. And I'm very sorry it dredged up repressed memories of chaining yourself to a bed while a freak creeped into the room. :P

Glass Eater
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Glass Eater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Mayday wrote:
Glass Eater wrote: I get it, between the books​ I've read I've easily enjoyed Pet Semetary and IT more than Gerald's Game. As far as what book has actually scared me the most GG takes the cake.

There was too much shit in there that hit my buttons. Therefore I won't forget it, and I do believe it's underrated.
That's cool. I can understand that. And I'm very sorry it dredged up repressed memories of chaining yourself to a bed while a freak creeped into the room. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am

I thought Geralds Game was rubbish. Didn't make it very far into that one at all.

The Vigilante
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Vigilante » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm enjoying Gerald's Game. Loving it so far but I'm only in the early chapters. Stephen King loves the movie.

The Vigilante
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Vigilante » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Mayday wrote: Skeleton Crew
Which stories did you like from that and which stories from it did you like the most?

The Mist (I like the movie), Cain Rose Up, Word Processor of the Gods (I want to watch the TFTD episode of this), The Raft (the only one I liked from Creepshow 2), The Monkey, Gramma, Morning Deliveries all sound really interesting.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:51 pm

The Vigilante wrote:
Mayday wrote: Skeleton Crew
Which stories did you like from that and which stories from it did you like the most?

The Mist (I like the movie), Cain Rose Up, Word Processor of the Gods (I want to watch the TFTD episode of this), The Raft (the only one I liked from Creepshow 2), The Monkey, Gramma, Morning Deliveries all sound really interesting.
It's been many years since I read it, but I can tell you The Mist is my fave story King has ever written, The Raft, The Monkey, Gramma all stick with me to this day. The Monkey really creeped me out when I first read it, and Gramma was made into an excellent New Twilight Zone episode (80s series).

The Vigilante
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Vigilante » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Mayday wrote: and Gramma was made into an excellent New Twilight Zone episode (80s series).
Gotta check that out. They also made Gramma (renamed Mercy) into a movie with Chandler Riggs from Walking Dead back in 2014. Probably skip that :lol:

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:18 pm

The Vigilante wrote:
Mayday wrote: and Gramma was made into an excellent New Twilight Zone episode (80s series).
Gotta check that out. They also made Gramma (renamed Mercy) into a movie with Chandler Riggs from Walking Dead back in 2014.. Probably skip that :lol:
The movie was terrible. Definitely skip.

Here's the Twilight Zone ep - though I recommend reading the book first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q334-mUfvF8

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am

Mayday wrote:
gwally wrote:
Glass Eater wrote:I just finished this. I am very new to reading horror (let alone Stephen King). So far in King's library I've only read IT, Pet Semetary and Gerald's Game.

Gerald's Game is the first book to actually freak me the fuck out. Yes IT disturbed me, and Pet Semetary was super cool and creepy but my god this book blew me away.

I started reading it because it's coming out as a Netflix movie this year, and it's going to be one hell of a horrifying movie if they pull it off correctly. Seriously, this book is horror at it's darkest core. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend so.
Gerald's Game was seriously out there. I would suggest Dolores Claiborne as a follow-up as there is a link between the two. I would have liked to have known this back when I was reading them.
I can't agree with y'all on those two. Gerald's Game was OK, but nothing great to me, and Deloris Claiborne is, IMO, one of King's worst books. I think he hit a creative low in the 90s, with many of his sub-par works coming during that period.
I said GG was "seriously out there," not that it was good. :P And I agree with DC although that wasn't a consideration when I recommended it, I just remember being annoyed that missed the connection, albeit slight. If I recall correctly, there is a more significant connection between The Regulators and Desperation, but I don't recall what exactly it was or if there was an

Sorry Glass Eater, I didn't mean to steer you into the sewer with Dolores Claiborne (you'll appreciate the IT reference), but at least most everything you would read afterwards would be Great! :lol:

Mayday, I agree with you on King's 90's output; it was a rather curious departure from his previous works. My wife stopped reading anything by King sometime after Dolores Claiborne, but I think she was losing interest as early as Tommyknockers. I didn't quite go that far, but I did slow down and there are a few I haven't read over the years--yet. Also, there are certain things from all the crappy King novels that I've liked just as there are certain things that I dislike from the works that I've really enjoyed.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm

gwally wrote:
Mayday wrote:
gwally wrote: Gerald's Game was seriously out there. I would suggest Dolores Claiborne as a follow-up as there is a link between the two. I would have liked to have known this back when I was reading them.
I can't agree with y'all on those two. Gerald's Game was OK, but nothing great to me, and Deloris Claiborne is, IMO, one of King's worst books. I think he hit a creative low in the 90s, with many of his sub-par works coming during that period.
I said GG was "seriously out there," not that it was good. :P And I agree with DC although that wasn't a consideration when I recommended it, I just remember being annoyed that missed the connection, albeit slight. If I recall correctly, there is a more significant connection between The Regulators and Desperation, but I don't recall what exactly it was or if there was an

Sorry Glass Eater, I didn't mean to steer you into the sewer with Dolores Claiborne (you'll appreciate the IT reference), but at least most everything you would read afterwards would be Great! :lol:

Mayday, I agree with you on King's 90's output; it was a rather curious departure from his previous works. My wife stopped reading anything by King sometime after Dolores Claiborne, but I think she was losing interest as early as Tommyknockers. I didn't quite go that far, but I did slow down and there are a few I haven't read over the years--yet. Also, there are certain things from all the crappy King novels that I've liked just as there are certain things that I dislike from the works that I've really enjoyed.
It's all good. I may have made a goofy face, but wasn't trying to diss you. Just offering a differing opinion (in my patented sarcastic fashion :mrgreen: )
Yeah, Regulators and Desperation - one was a lost manuscript that he unearthed/rewrote/something, and the other was a semi-sequel he wrote after reworking the other. Again, two alright-but-nothing-great books that deviated from his 70s-80s brilliance with his late 80s-90s weirdness. Ironically, his near-death when he got hit by the van and his first attempt at retirement while recuperating seemed to re-energize his creative side, as his books greatly improved when he first returned to writing. At least for a while. When he got caught up in his 'women's empowerment'* phase his work tanked again, and his more recent stuff has been very hit-and-miss.

(Not that I'm knocking women or anything. It's King's bizarre Gloria Steinem phase or whatever it was just produced generic, uninteresting, poorly plotted books.)