Needful Things
From a Buick 8
Cell

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: Stephen King Appreciation Thread

Post by Freddy_Lives » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I was going to say that Misery is one of the closest things to plausibility that he wrote.

Surprised no one has mentioned it.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Freddy_Lives wrote:I was going to say that Misery is one of the closest things to plausibility that he wrote.

Surprised no one has mentioned it.
It was a great book, just not one of my absolute faves. It's kinda tough narrowing down a list considering I've read all but about 4 1/2 of his novels and collections.

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 pm

Mayday wrote: It was a great book, just not one of my absolute faves. It's kinda tough narrowing down a list considering I've read all but about 4 1/2 of his novels and collections.
Same here, I've read pretty much everything other than the dark tower series.

STFilmmaker
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by STFilmmaker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:33 am

So hard to choose on my end when it comes to King. But if I had to choose from least to most fave it would be.

Least-Cujo-Pet Semetary-The Stand-Dark Tower-The Shining-It-Christine-Carrie-Most

But a personal one would have to be Night Shift. Especially Quitters Inc. and The Ledge.

Vesil
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Vesil » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 pm

I've read more of Stephen King than of any other author. Surprisingly, it's not hard to pick a favorite.

"Needful Things". Thanks to this #$%^& book, I spent the rest of my life looking for books that were as equally stimulating, complex, and challenging to read. And thanks to this %^&* book, I have found very few. Which has left me searching, like a guy in a desert hunting for water.

Speaking of which, does anybody have suggestions for books like this? Engaging page-turners that really mess with your head and keep you involved all the way through? It's been a while since I've had the experience.

My thoughts: https://xanderpayne.blogspot.com
My book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6OI7HG

"Oh will you just stop it and BEHAVE!!"
-George Stark, "The Dark Half"

STFilmmaker
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by STFilmmaker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:12 am

Vesil wrote:I've read more of Stephen King than of any other author. Surprisingly, it's not hard to pick a favorite.

"Needful Things". Thanks to this #$%^& book, I spent the rest of my life looking for books that were as equally stimulating, complex, and challenging to read. And thanks to this %^&* book, I have found very few. Which has left me searching, like a guy in a desert hunting for water.

Speaking of which, does anybody have suggestions for books like this? Engaging page-turners that really mess with your head and keep you involved all the way through? It's been a while since I've had the experience.

My thoughts: https://xanderpayne.blogspot.com
My book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6OI7HG

"Oh will you just stop it and BEHAVE!!"
-George Stark, "The Dark Half"
If you want books to mess with your head and King's not enough. Look no further than his recommendations. For example Clive Barker. King himself said it best when Hellraiser came out "I have seen the future of Horror, his name is Clive Barker."

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:47 pm

So many great King books to choose from.

My personal faves are IT, The Dark Half, Cycle of the Werewolf and Pet Semetary.

I've just started Insomnia and would like to read Needful Things and The Stand. I had to put down Geralds Game. That one was boring.

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:12 pm

They have turned The Mist into a TV series now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_uqiSQOY

I thought the movie was fantastic but I've never read the story. How faithful was the movie to the novella? Does it need a TV show?

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote:They have turned The Mist into a TV series now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_uqiSQOY

I thought the movie was fantastic but I've never read the story. How faithful was the movie to the novella? Does it need a TV show?
The movie was generally faithful to the book, with the great big whopping exception being the novella did not end any way close to how the totally fucked up stupid ending of the movie was. In fact, the book ends with possibilities a long-running TV show could explore nicely.
You really should read the story. Although Salem's Lot is my fave novel by King, The Mist is my favorite story overall that he's written. Even with the parts they got completely right, it still blows the film away.