Stephen King's IT

Some of us really do know how to read!
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:35 pm

gwally wrote: I dig backstory, character/plot development whether it's a novel, movie or TV show, but I can certainly see how others don't care for it--especially if the "ant" doesn't have shit to do with what's going on in the story... or does it? This is where impatient reader/viewers often miss a subtle piece if relevant information. I will occasionally fall into this category, especially if the pacing is off.
I was right from the start without even fully known, Nothing happened with her character beyond that therefore i feel she had way too much character development, If it was to make me feel sorry for her it didn't work as she was left out of the book for the rest of the time. I felt more and more sorry for Billy when we find out the reason he is so determined to battle and kill IT, because he truly loved George and felt a massive loss when he was killed, I'm sure anyone with siblings can feel for him. I have two big brothers who i love very much, sometimes I want to slap the shit out of them but I don't know what would happen to me if something happened to them. I had a very close friend who passed away of a disease when I was 15-16 and that hit me hard, I think I was ignorant at the time thinking something like that could happen to me but when it did I kinda lost it, when I was 19 I lost my older sister and that just escalated things for me, Now i'm okay and I think these things happening in my life and opening my eye has made me keep people quite close with could probably explain why i call people Brother and Sister forgive me for over sharing but the finishing of this novel has made me very emotional and made me reach back to something I had forgotten, that is actually pretty creepy.

Mayday wrote: I totes agree with Cujo. It pissed me the fuck off when 50% of that book had no bearing on the actual plot whatsoever. It was like King had a novella that he had to flesh out to become a full-length novel. However, with IT I felt that every chapter, every paragraph, every word was crucial to the overall story. At least until the lackluster ending....but I digress. :P
I have to disagree but also agree in a way, After the full read it makes realise how weak the ending to the mini series really is, all we get in that what "Silver" saved Stan's life in a very quick flashback and it just comes off weak if it was not for the very famous "HI-YO SILVER! AWAY!" From the novel Silver is a very important plot point as it got both Richie and Bill away from IT when they were on niebolt street, it save another or two as I recall but cannot fully remember so fill in the blanks. But silver became a very important character in this which gave the ending that call-back element, if it saved their lives then it can save Audra's but I stand by the fact that it fell flat on it's face in the mini series because why they made the importance of silver fall flat in it's importance throughout the duration of the series.

gunsrazorsknives wrote:It took me a good 3 times to read IT. I guess because I'd seen the TV movie, and that it's 1000+ pages I couldn't be bothered to read it and I struggled at first. So glad that on my last attempt I managed to get right into it and got through it.

It's an absolutely amazing read and leaves the TV movie in the dust. That version doesn't do the book justice at all. The book is chock full of scary and thrilling set pieces. The 4th of July, the Ironworks, Neibolt St, Hockstetter, Henry Bowers oh my I could go on and on. I also love the side stories into Derrys history, especially the shoot out.

It's definitely top tier and essential Stephen King.
While I agree the novel does that to the miniseries as the case with most book/movie battles, The movie or mini series still holds a charm I wont be able to let go of, making a screen presentation of IT at that time was probably so talked about that it could not be done the way people talked about lord of the rings and the way The Dark Tower is still being talked about. so with that said I give Tommy Lee Wallace and his crew their dues for doing their best for their budget and what they could do at the time.

In terms of this new adaptation coming along I guess i want them to explore the parts of the novel the 1990 adaptation didn't, I know there are things they will have to repeat for the sake of the story but I just hope this happens. I also have a wish that they go for a really good marketing angle for this, I think it's about time we get really good marketing back, I remember the marketing for Cloverfeild back in the day and Loved it, its one of the reasons that movie has stuck with me even with my hatred for found footage/Hand-Held-Horror. So far the marketing has seemed very desperate with the in your face look at Pennywise which i don't mind but dont actually need, and the fact they made him look scary feels so lazy and generic, we know he is evil would it not be much more unsettling to fans if they had him in a brighter light and looking fun? as for the leaked pics? well they are leaked or "Leaked" theres no point in dwelling. Instead of the basic hollywood trailer we have been getting since the mid 90s i think it would be much more interesting and hyping if they took things from around Derry such as the explosion of the Kitchener Iron works and the fire at the Black Spot with some elements of "IT" slipped in there somewhere, perhaps play them as News or radio broadcasts. And this would be aching for a website on Derry with the different cases added to it, perhaps this is all tried and failed material in the past but I just miss things like that. I have a few ideas for a way they could sell this movie with some heart and really hit the fans hard rather than just the same old, that was a cool trailer.....might check it out.

The ending is very bitter sweet and is right up there with The body and Christine from what i remember, all leave that taste in your mouth and that hurt in your gut when you find out what happened to them but IT was different and I couldn't believe they left this out of the 1990 version but I also know somethings only work on the page. I was actually crying when I read that they were forgetting but understanding if they didn't forget IT would live on in their memories and feed. I wanted they to stay as close as they could to each other but there is no way they could and when Bill and Mike were trying to remember Eddie and Stan's last names, man that hurt.

Okay that's enough from me I think, drank too much and said even more so i'll just leave that there in your pocket guys.

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:18 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:
gwally wrote: I dig backstory, character/plot development whether it's a novel, movie or TV show, but I can certainly see how others don't care for it--especially if the "ant" doesn't have shit to do with what's going on in the story... or does it? This is where impatient reader/viewers often miss a subtle piece if relevant information. I will occasionally fall into this category, especially if the pacing is off.
I was right from the start without even fully known, Nothing happened with her character beyond that therefore i feel she had way too much character development, If it was to make me feel sorry for her it didn't work as she was left out of the book for the rest of the time. I felt more and more sorry for Billy when we find out the reason he is so determined to battle and kill IT, because he truly loved George and felt a massive loss when he was killed, I'm sure anyone with siblings can feel for him. I have two big brothers who i love very much, sometimes I want to slap the shit out of them but I don't know what would happen to me if something happened to them. I had a very close friend who passed away of a disease when I was 15-16 and that hit me hard, I think I was ignorant at the time thinking something like that could happen to me but when it did I kinda lost it, when I was 19 I lost my older sister and that just escalated things for me, Now i'm okay and I think these things happening in my life and opening my eye has made me keep people quite close with could probably explain why i call people Brother and Sister forgive me for over sharing but the finishing of this novel has made me very emotional and made me reach back to something I had forgotten, that is actually pretty creepy.
This is the amazing magic of the written word! Whether it's a novel, short story, poem or play; the ability for an author to transport his/her reader to another place and time or to evoke such faded memories and strong emotions is an incredible talent and extremely satisfying for the reader--depending on the emotions/memories, I suppose. I'm sorry for the tragedies you've had to endure as well as the harsh lessons forced upon you at such an early age. The fact that you hold people closer rather than pushing them away for fear of further loss and pain is amazing. Many people would react quite differently. Your life-affirming attitude is quite refreshing.

I started to re-read It this weekend, but my copy is a real piece of shit! I'm hoping I can find a cheap copy before get to the missing pages. :lol:

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm

gwally wrote:
This is the amazing magic of the written word! Whether it's a novel, short story, poem or play; the ability for an author to transport his/her reader to another place and time or to evoke such faded memories and strong emotions is an incredible talent and extremely satisfying for the reader--depending on the emotions/memories, I suppose. I'm sorry for the tragedies you've had to endure as well as the harsh lessons forced upon you at such an early age. The fact that you hold people closer rather than pushing them away for fear of further loss and pain is amazing. Many people would react quite differently. Your life-affirming attitude is quite refreshing.

I started to re-read It this weekend, but my copy is a real piece of shit! I'm hoping I can find a cheap copy before get to the missing pages. :lol:
Thanks for the kind words mate, brought a smile to my face. As for your book, as long as every page is still there, some may be threatening to drop out, cover may have gone and it feels like the slightest movement will make it split right down the middle. I say keep it, my copy of Christine has no front or back cover but the binding itself is top notch and all the pages are still there, It's still in my bookcase and i will not part with it while it's still strong. I don't really like the sight of a clean book unless it's brand new. I also prefer that the damage done to any book i own is done by me, finger smudges, coffee stains, water damage all the stuff shows it's a much cherished book, how can you love it if you dont get it beat up? haha

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

gwally wrote: I started to re-read It this weekend, but my copy is a real piece of shit! I'm hoping I can find a cheap copy before get to the missing pages. :lol:
It's called: This is 2016. Get a Kindle or other e-reader.Buy/borrow the book from the library. Pages will never fall out. :P

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:Thanks for the kind words mate, brought a smile to my face.
You're Welcome. :D
Formaldehide&Seek wrote:Thanks for the kind words mate, brought a smile to my face. As for your book, as long as every page is still there, some may be threatening to drop out, cover may have gone and it feels like the slightest movement will make it split right down the middle. I say keep it, my copy of Christine has no front or back cover but the binding itself is top notch and all the pages are still there, It's still in my bookcase and i will not part with it while it's still strong. I don't really like the sight of a clean book unless it's brand new. I also prefer that the damage done to any book i own is done by me, finger smudges, coffee stains, water damage all the stuff shows it's a much cherished book, how can you love it if you dont get it beat up? haha
Yeah, I'm not parting with it. It's in two halves, missing both covers and at least half a page. Nearly all the corners are curled in on one another making it difficult to turn the pages which are almost to brittle to handle. :lol: I'll figure it out.
Mayday wrote:It's called: This is 2016. Get a Kindle or other e-reader.Buy/borrow the book from the library. Pages will never fall out. :P
:lol: Yep! There are absolutely no excuses in this technology laden world that we inhabit!! :lol: I have a 2nd gen Kindle as well as the Kindle for iPhone app and I'm considering the free trial for Amazon Audible. You would have a classic facepalm moment if I told you how close I am to a library right now. :mrgreen:

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:44 pm

gwally wrote:
Mayday wrote:It's called: This is 2016. Get a Kindle or other e-reader.Buy/borrow the book from the library. Pages will never fall out. :P
:lol: Yep! There are absolutely no excuses in this technology laden world that we inhabit!! :lol: I have a 2nd gen Kindle as well as the Kindle for iPhone app and I'm considering the free trial for Amazon Audible. You would have a classic facepalm moment if I told you how close I am to a library right now. :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUS4TpBry6c
I worked across the street from a wonderful library. I'm sorely gonna miss going there to get books to make my boring days go faster. :x

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:46 am

NO!!!!!

Nothing replaces print, or the feel of a book.

My old lady has a Kindle and it's nice and all but it will never take the place of turning a page with your fingertips.

Especially a hardbound book :P

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:33 am

Freddy_Lives wrote:NO!!!!!

My old lady has a Kindle and it's nice and all but it will never take the place of turning a page with your fingertips.

Exactly.

Fuck Kindles. I still buy books, preferably hardcover if I can.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Freddy_Lives wrote:NO!!!!!

I prefer physical books, but the ability to borrow e-books for free has enabled me to read dozens of books I would never have been able to afford to buy, nor would my libraries have physical copies of. Plus, I'm so used to my Kindle I occasionally find myself trying to swipe actual books to flip pages.

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Mayday wrote: I prefer physical books, but the ability to borrow e-books for free has enabled me to read dozens of books I would never have been able to afford to buy, nor would my libraries have physical copies of. Plus, I'm so used to my Kindle I occasionally find myself trying to swipe actual books to flip pages.
Well free always beats nothing :lol: