Stephen King's IT

Some of us really do know how to read!
User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:48 am

Martyboiiiii wrote:
Yes mate that's the guy
Thats the one im reading along with and fuck me does that man keep you going, really building it up and giving each character a different voice, great work by that lad, Actually plays a much better Jack Torrence than Nicholson in the Shining Mini series too.
Image

User avatar
Martyboiiiii
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Martyboiiiii » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:43 am

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:
Martyboiiiii wrote:
Yes mate that's the guy
Thats the one im reading along with and fuck me does that man keep you going, really building it up and giving each character a different voice, great work by that lad, Actually plays a much better Jack Torrence than Nicholson in the Shining Mini series too.
Couldn't agree more mate

User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:11 am

16 - Eddie's Bad Break, one of the few weak point in the story I dont really care about but meh, it's still going great, kinda wish there was more in the Smoke Hole chapter, that was really building up and i wanted more.
Image

User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 pm

FINISHED!!!!

Absolutly fantastic, next time someone tells me "Read the book, it's a thousand times better than the movie" I'm going to read it.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Having only ever seen the Mini series I didn't think i was missing much by not reading the book but I have never been more wrong in my entire life. Most do think the mini series as being crappy and not being able to do the Novel justice, While i agree on something people say about it I still love the mini series as it was a massive part of my childhood and the first thing that made clowns scary to me. It was very very VERY ambitious for them to make it back in 1990 even in it's two part format. The Mini series did hit a lot of the beats of the novel, much more than most adaptions these days but still could not capture what made IT so great.

The book keeps the character timelines very non linear right until it comes to the end when they magically fall side by side which was genius and something I feel they should have done and hopefully they do for the movie, I did not find myself getting confused with the time lines at all and the fact there are other timelines thrown in during the interludes made me wish they were even more. There is however King gives us just enough of the them and lets us read on.

The foreshadowing in it is really subtle however even the most obscure elements I managed to pick out but i'm not one for dwelling on them too long, I think my favourite had to be the "IT! Came from outer space" moment. The Turtle and a few other animals seem to be a strong aspect in a lot of King novels and espacially in the dark tower series but i think it's going to take more reading to fully understand.

The individual encounters with IT were great, almost felt disappointment when I read about Eddie's first encounter with them hobo (who i thought was the leper at first) but as that chapter went on i was fully satisfied with how it played. The only weak part of the young losers encounters i though was weak was there was too much of the werewolf and i thought that was the least scary embodiment of IT and it was used a few times, I think King should have really had it in different forms each time they came face to face with it.

Both final encounters, deep down in the sewers, in it's lair kinda went confusing but it's overall story was pretty clear, i think it's only an image King can understand, i could kinda picture the way the lair looked but it was not given much detail. But when it goes beyond that into the outer area it becomes very cloudy and I can't picture anything, Not slamming on it at all because the moments were easy to follow.

Tom Rogan? pointless character, should have left him after that chapter, he served no purpose after that.

The fact it being a spider almost made me hang my head mainly because what we got in the mini series was really really weak but in the novel it is much stronger and i bought ever minute of it.

seen some reviews saying that young Mike is the weakest and lazy excuse of a chatacter, Ahem, who is practically telling the story? He's a solid character and enough about him is told in his stand along chapter and the interludes.

The only thing I can'y believe that miniseries did not add was the house on niebolt street, how could you not have this involved? it's fantastic in every chapter it is featured in, that house that Stan got locked in, was that it? was that them rolling up elements of the book because they didn't see them as important? if it was that was a waste of their time shooting it and a waste of budget.

Thats all i can think of for now but i'm sure you guys could bring up points you liked or what to discuss. Rant over :lol:
Image

User avatar
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead
Posts: 4768
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Mega-City One

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:FINISHED!!!!

Absolutly fantastic, next time someone tells me "Read the book, it's a thousand times better than the movie" I'm going to read it.
Told you. :P
Image
Image

User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Mayday wrote: Told you. :P
Yeah you did mate, thank you so much, I didn't need a massive push to do it since I was kinda already teetering on the edge but thanks man, i really enjoyed my week with this, well what i consider a bible in fictional literature.
Image

User avatar
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead
Posts: 4768
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Mega-City One

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:
Mayday wrote: Told you. :P
Yeah you did mate, thank you so much, I didn't need a massive push to do it since I was kinda already teetering on the edge but thanks man, i really enjoyed my week with this, well what i consider a bible in fictional literature.
No prob. Glad you loved the book. If you're ever looking for suggestions for more King or other horror author seminal novels, just let me know. I'm a voracious reader and have devoured many of the top authors' catalogs.
Image
Image

User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:39 pm

Mayday wrote: No prob. Glad you loved the book. If you're ever looking for suggestions for more King or other horror author seminal novels, just let me know. I'm a voracious reader and have devoured many of the top authors' catalogs.
haha so you have no problem with the way I choose to read? i've already gotten shit off some of my friends who are massive readers and can sit hours reading a book without using the audio book in the background
Image

User avatar
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead
Posts: 4768
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Mega-City One

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Mayday » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:
Mayday wrote: No prob. Glad you loved the book. If you're ever looking for suggestions for more King or other horror author seminal novels, just let me know. I'm a voracious reader and have devoured many of the top authors' catalogs.
haha so you have no problem with the way I choose to read? i've already gotten shit off some of my friends who are massive readers and can sit hours reading a book without using the audio book in the background
I'm an old fashioned reader myself, but books is books. If it takes a narrator, so be it.
Image
Image

User avatar
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Mayday wrote: I'm an old fashioned reader myself, but books is books. If it takes a narrator, so be it.
You'll do for me mate :D
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest