Stephen King's IT

Some of us really do know how to read!
gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 am

It took me a good 3 times to read IT. I guess because I'd seen the TV movie, and that it's 1000+ pages I couldn't be bothered to read it and I struggled at first. So glad that on my last attempt I managed to get right into it and got through it.

It's an absolutely amazing read and leaves the TV movie in the dust. That version doesn't do the book justice at all. The book is chock full of scary and thrilling set pieces. The 4th of July, the Ironworks, Neibolt St, Hockstetter, Henry Bowers oh my I could go on and on. I also love the side stories into Derrys history, especially the shoot out.

It's definitely top tier and essential Stephen King.

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 am

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:I love all that stuff too but only when it's relevant as you say, but King does have a bad habit of rabbiting on about shit people don't care about, quite similar with Cujo, half of that book was bloody pointless, did not push the story forward at all, just seemed like filler.
I haven't read Cujo. I wasn't terribly thrilled with the movie, but it had some pretty awesome moments!

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:03 am

gwally wrote:
Formaldehide&Seek wrote:I love all that stuff too but only when it's relevant as you say, but King does have a bad habit of rabbiting on about shit people don't care about, quite similar with Cujo, half of that book was bloody pointless, did not push the story forward at all, just seemed like filler.
I haven't read Cujo. I wasn't terribly thrilled with the movie, but it had some pretty awesome moments!
It's really not essential, It's okay for a kid who discovers King for the first time and announces every word he has ever written as gospel, but when you actually sit down to read it you realise its actually mostly filled with crap. The only parts anyone ever remember are in the final act inside the car.

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 am

Formaldehide&Seek wrote:It's really not essential, It's okay for a kid who discovers King for the first time and announces every word he has ever written as gospel, but when you actually sit down to read it you realise its actually mostly filled with crap. The only parts anyone ever remember are in the final act inside the car.
Interesting. I might just read it out of curiosity. :lol: What if it was some weird glimpse into an alternate King universe that would only make sense to someone like Clayton Blaisdell, Jr. :geek: :lol:
I've read a lot of his stuff, but there's still a lot that I haven't. I'll have to give it a read just for shits and giggles.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 am

gwally wrote:
Formaldehide&Seek wrote:It's really not essential, It's okay for a kid who discovers King for the first time and announces every word he has ever written as gospel, but when you actually sit down to read it you realise its actually mostly filled with crap. The only parts anyone ever remember are in the final act inside the car.
Interesting. I might just read it out of curiosity. :lol: What if it was some weird glimpse into an alternate King universe that would only make sense to someone like Clayton Blaisdell, Jr. :geek: :lol:
I've read a lot of his stuff, but there's still a lot that I haven't. I'll have to give it a read just for shits and giggles.
It's not a big read at all so be my guest, In my opinion this could have done much better as a short story or a Novella where they are stuck in the car over night. To me the novel plays out how a crap film adaptation plays out with 45 minutes of needless filler does and it makes perfect sense that King cannot even remember writing it haha sure he remembers what inspired it but does he fuck remember the nights he sat down to type it out.

to update, That really slow chapter has started to pick up nicely and getting to what it should have 5 pages ago, all i can say is there's too much character development dedicated to character that has very little impact on the story. now King elitists will say thats what makes King so great that he cares about every single character he creates and that is great if you're someone who reads for the character rather than the story but that is where I differ, I'm a story man and don't need to dwell too much on characters, I don't need to know EVERYTHING about them. So i'm not saying King is wrong for the way he has done things because it's his baby and he does what he wants. It's just my opinion in terms of things i like to read.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm

gwally wrote:
The only two things that stand out from the book are: a somewhat supernatural element to 'splain what happens with Cujo (beyond boring rabies) and the ending is more satisfactory than the film. Beyond that, there's this whole long sub-plot with the father and his advertising agency that ultimately does nothing but waste your time reading about it, as it has no bearing on the story whatsoever.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Mayday wrote: The only two things that stand out from the book are: a somewhat supernatural element to 'splain what happens with Cujo (beyond boring rabies) and the ending is more satisfactory than the film. Beyond that, there's this whole long sub-plot with the father and his advertising agency that ultimately does nothing but waste your time reading about it, as it has no bearing on the story whatsoever.
Don't forget the ever important Affair which is it established, then hinted at and then is dropped completely.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Formaldehide&Seek wrote: Don't forget the ever important Affair which is it established, then hinted at and then is dropped completely.
It was obviously so memorable I totes forgot about it. :lol:

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Onto Richie Tozier takes a powder it moves so much faster, right amount of character development and im getting really into it now.

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 am

Mayday wrote:The only two things that stand out from the book are: a somewhat supernatural element to 'splain what happens with Cujo (beyond boring rabies) and the ending is more satisfactory than the film. Beyond that, there's this whole long sub-plot with the father and his advertising agency that ultimately does nothing but waste your time reading about it, as it has no bearing on the story whatsoever.
Incredible. I'm not going to rush out to locate a copy, but if I ever decide that I just have waaay too much time on my hands, I'll give it a read. :lol:
Formaldehide&Seek wrote:Onto Richie Tozier takes a powder it moves so much faster, right amount of character development and im getting really into it now.
Glad to hear it's picking up for you! I really want to read this again...