Stephen King's IT

Some of us really do know how to read!
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Stephen King's IT

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Hey all, Well its not all the time we get huge news, good or bad in the horror world these days but a film production of Stephen King's It has been dragged out of Development Hell and we have seen proof with pictures of the kids and the leper? I didn't remember seeing a Leper in the mini series which has always been my only reference when talking about it. I myself am a writer but i am shamefully such a lazy reader but with a little push from gunsrazorsknives and Freddy_Lives, I've decided to face my demons and get this big fucker read.

I'm only on. C H A P T E R 3, Six Phone Calls (1985) 1. Stanley Uris Takes a Bath and have gotten passed the things that stopped me reading before cause i thought it was boring as fuck but now years later it's really not boring and much more relevant than i originally thought because any King reader knows King likes to turn places like towns and cities his main characters.

So far I'm really enjoying it and sticking with it, it's very rich and full of it's own little stories i thought it deserved it's own thread just like the Dark Tower books because it deserves more than being squeezed into a Stephen King Appreciation thread

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Stephen King's IT

Post by gwally » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Stick with it! IT may just be my favourite King novel and I've read it numerous times. I'm currently looking for a replacement copy as mine completely fell apart.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:13 pm

gwally wrote:Stick with it! IT may just be my favourite King novel and I've read it numerous times. I'm currently looking for a replacement copy as mine completely fell apart.
haha the sure sign of a well loved book there mate, I am sticking with it and once i'm done im checking out each book i've passed on cause the movie was faster

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Absolutely one of King's top 3 novels. It's the first book of his I read way back in high school, and it scared the crap out of me, but cemented my descent into the depths of horror.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 pm

gwally wrote:Stick with it! IT may just be my favourite King novel and I've read it numerous times. I'm currently looking for a replacement copy as mine completely fell apart.
Wow! I got through IT once and don't know that I could tackle IT's 1000+ pages again, despite how good IT is.
(Fuck, IT felt wrong not typing all caps for IT every time I tried to use the word IT in the sentence. :evil: )

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Must admit i'm taking it kinda slow but i feel he goes maybe a too in depth at time, people may say he's the Kubrick of writing and every word he rights mean something, yes...maybe to him but i don't really give a shit about Patty Uris and Stan is about to die anyway so.....

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 pm

IT, The Stand and Under the Dome are 3 long King books I've got through and I've loved them all. The Stand is my fav of the three but IT has some real chilling and memorable moments. I read IT one summer and I remember IT feeling like a good summer read because of The Barrens and Kid's school hols etc.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go into an old Bookshop and buy whatever King book I'm drawn to and give it a quick read before summer is over. It's been too long since I've read a novel let alone a King.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 pm

I've read nearly everything by King, with the exception of Carrie (saving it so there'll always be at least one King book I've left to read), 11/22/63 (subject matter just doesn't interest me) and his last three novels (just haven't bought 'em yet, and I was unimpressed with Mr. Mercedes so the sequels, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for). And Under the Dome. I got about 40-45% through it and just had to quit. I found I wasn't looking forward to picking it up each night, and when I did, I would only get through a chapter or so, and I felt every character was one-dimensional, rote, unoriginal; the villains were extremely unbelievable and cookie cutter; and every time I found a hero character I liked, they died a horrible fucking death the next chapter. The main heroes were fucking lame as can be. The book was so fucking depressing, I just can't bring myself to pick it up again.

But I digress.... IT is still one of the most genuinely scary novels ever, and featured King at his peak.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote:IT, The Stand and Under the Dome are 3 long King books I've got through and I've loved them all. The Stand is my fav of the three but IT has some real chilling and memorable moments. I read IT one summer and I remember IT feeling like a good summer read because of The Barrens and Kid's school hols etc.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go into an old Bookshop and buy whatever King book I'm drawn to and give it a quick read before summer is over. It's been too long since I've read a novel let alone a King.
I get the vibe you are talking about and it's all over stories such as IT and also The Body aka Stand by Me and also Dreamcatcher, it's that element i like to put into my own writing, growing up in the mid to late 90s i feel i've on of the last and lucky ones to have that kind of childhood which from what i've seen through young family members has gone.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Mayday wrote:I've read nearly everything by King, with the exception of Carrie (saving it so there'll always be at least one King book I've left to read), 11/22/63 (subject matter just doesn't interest me) and his last three novels (just haven't bought 'em yet, and I was unimpressed with Mr. Mercedes so the sequels, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for). And Under the Dome. I got about 40-45% through it and just had to quit. I found I wasn't looking forward to picking it up each night, and when I did, I would only get through a chapter or so, and I felt every character was one-dimensional, rote, unoriginal; the villains were extremely unbelievable and cookie cutter; and every time I found a hero character I liked, they died a horrible fucking death the next chapter. The main heroes were fucking lame as can be. The book was so fucking depressing, I just can't bring myself to pick it up again.

But I digress.... IT is still one of the most genuinely scary novels ever, and featured King at his peak.
sounds exactly like the tv show mate, i'm halfway through season 3 (last season thank fuck) and it's just really tough to watch, the last character i can remember liking was in season one and died rather early on was Dodi, cute, chubby dj and since then i've not liked any of them.