What Book Did You Last Read?

Some of us really do know how to read!
nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: What Book Did You Last Read?

Post by nancylives! » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am

horrorstor by grady hendrix. a very entertaining send-up of ikea and big box stores, horrorstor takes it a step further by being built on, well, the sort of place where bad things happen if you build on top of it. not quite as awesome as hendrix's brilliant and engaging my best friend's exorcism, horrorstor is still a lot of fun. it's one of those books where a lot of thought and effort went into the book design, which adds a great deal to the story.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Meddling Kids - Edgar Cantero. Scooby-Doo meets H.P. Lovecraft by way of IT. A groups of friends who, when they were kids with their trusty dog, used to solve mysteries in a small town in Oregon. Thirteen years later they must reunite to finish their last and biggest case of all. Terrific concept but not the greatest writing ability. The humor was hit-and-miss, there were too many hormonally charged teenager fantasies, and the big climax at the end just felt repetitive and like it would never stop. An enjoyable read, but could have been so much more. 3.5/5

Jannath
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Jannath » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

One can come across a lot of books after going through each and every post
:)

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 am

Mayday wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Meddling Kids - Edgar Cantero. Scooby-Doo meets H.P. Lovecraft by way of IT. A groups of friends who, when they were kids with their trusty dog, used to solve mysteries in a small town in Oregon. Thirteen years later they must reunite to finish their last and biggest case of all. Terrific concept but not the greatest writing ability. The humor was hit-and-miss, there were too many hormonally charged teenager fantasies, and the big climax at the end just felt repetitive and like it would never stop. An enjoyable read, but could have been so much more. 3.5/5
i'm looking forward to reading this.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Jannath wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am
One can also come across a lot if you check the 'favorite horror authors' thread, or by replying to and.or PMing me. ;)

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Mayday wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm
Jannath wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am
One can also come across a lot if you check the 'favorite horror authors' thread, or by replying to and.or PMing me. ;)
it's true: he'll hook you UP!

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am

read the haunting of hill house for the first time in 25 years. such a good, satisfying book, filled with really well-drawn characters, hilarious dialogue, and creepily subtle horror. a thing of perfect beauty.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:39 pm

as i continue my stroll through literary favorites, i read jack finney's invasion of the body snatchers (nee the body snatchers) for the first time in a great while. it is excellent. the book serves as a nice companion to the movie, deepening many elements, such as the insights of the main characters, particularly miles bennell, but also jack and teddy belicec, and becky driscoll, and even mannie (danny in the movie) kaufman, nascent headshrinker. additional characters are also present. the first half of the book and the movie are essentially the same, but the latter half is mostly its' own creation. while i think the ending of the movie is superior, or at least more believable given everything, i do like the end of the book; it's sort of an alternate universe where everything turns out great for our heroes, not like the movie, where it all goes to XXXX. in fact, if the movie had included some of the dialogue from near the end of the book, but kept their own ending, it could have been even more tragic. finney was an excellent writer, and the body snatchers is filled with keen observations about social emotional experience, as well as darwinian absolutism, and somber recognition of what humans were doing to the planet as far back as the fifties. one of my faves.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm

i just read the novelization of dawn of the dead by george romero and susanna sparrow. i don't know if george took a pass at novelizing and then sparrow finished it, or if sparrow just wrote it from george's script but, regrettably, no matter how you slice it, this book is terrible. the writing is clumsy, mechanical, and lacking any zest, and the descriptions of exciting scenes throughout the movie are quite boring. the only differences are that we get inside the characters' heads a little more (occasionally interesting) and there is a pet store in the mall loaded with critters (i always thought it would be cool for them to find a pet store). i was definitely hoping for more, like hank searls illuminating novelization of jaws 2 or vonda n. mcintyre's engaging expansion of subplots in her adaptation of star trek 2: the wrath of khan. but no, just a dull interpretation of a great movie.

skyezerox
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by skyezerox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 am

I reread American Psycho recently. Forever remains as one of my top 10 reads.
I know nothing of God or the Devil. I have never seen a vision nor learned a secret that would damn or save my soul.