Connect with us

Exclusives

Sam Raimi Talks Return to Horror at Red Carpet Premiere of ‘Drag Me to Hell’

Published

on

Earlier this evening Bloody-Disgusting hit up the red carpet premiere of Universal Pictures’ Drag me to Hell, Sam Raimi’s triumphant return to horror. While the celebs were slim picking (there’s never enough time), we did manage to get an exclusive chat with Raimi before he ran in to introduce his latest creation. Beyond the break you can see what he was thinking in making Drag Me to Hell and how it’s rejuvenated his horror juices.
Sam Raimi Drag Me to HellDRAG ME TO HELL follows a loan officer (Alison Lohman) who is ordered to evict an old woman from her home and finds herself the recipient of a supernatural curse that turns her life into a living hell. Desperate, she turns to a seer to try and save her soul, while evil forces work to push her to a breaking point.

When we grabbed Sam Raimi on the red carpet premiere here in Hollywood, we asked him if he felt the pressure from horror fans to deliver something good, and if he felt this was as important to the horror genre as a we feel it is. His only thought was that he really wants people to have a great time.

I hope it scares the audience, I hope they go in and have a good time,” he tells Bloody-Disgusting. “I want them to feel suspense, laugh at the things that at are supposed to be funny – tickle them. I hope they jump and scream!

When the audience has this electricity as a group, they’re really feeling the suspense and fear together,” Raimi explains of the experience of seeing a horror film with a group of strangers and how they become figuratively become “one”. “I felt that in some really good horror films, like when I saw John Carpenter’s HALLOWEEN for the first time, the whole audience was electrified with fear. They were all as one, all terrified and amplifying their fears one on to the next.

DRAG ME TO HELL screams EVIL DEAD and feels like it could have easily been a spin-off. We asked Raimi why this over a new EVIL DEAD.

I didn’t really make it instead of EVIL DEAD,” he explains. “I just had this story and turned it into a screenplay, I didn’t think about EVIL DEAD at all when making this film. It really was just about taking this story and pleasing the horror audience who has been really good to me and supported me and all the movies I made – horror and beyond. I wanted to make something they’d like, and I hope they will like.

After so many years, Raimi talks about how filming a new horror film has rejuvenated his horror juices.

It did remind me of how much I love horror movies. I love building horror suspense sequences. I love the craft as a storyteller of trying to be aware of where the audience is and what they’re expecting – sometimes giving it to them, sometimes giving them something else. I really enjoy playing that game with them…

This one’s for you horror fiends! Check out Sam Raimi’s DRAG ME TO HELL in theaters May 29th from Universal Pictures.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Exclusives

‘Bloodline Killer’ Exclusive Trailer – Shawnee Smith Stars in Halloween Slasher Movie Releasing in April

Published

on

In the wake of her return in last year’s box office hit Saw X, horror icon Shawnee Smith is back in Vertical’s upcoming horror movie Bloodline Killer, and we’ve got the trailer.

Bloodline Killer arrives In Select Theaters & On Demand April 26, 2024.

Exclusively watch the trailer below, and find the official poster underneath.

Directed by Ante Novakovic, Bloodline Killer is being described by Vertical as “a terrifying horror-thriller that follows Moira Cole who endeavors to rebuild her shattered life after the murder of her family at the hands of her deranged and obsessed cousin.”

The cast also includes Taryn Manning, Drew Moerlein, James Gaudioso, Montanna Gillis, Kresh Novakovic, Adam Shippey, Anthony Gaudioso with Bruce Dern and Tyrese Gibson.

Anthony Gaudioso and James Gaudioso wrote the screenplay.

Bloodline Killer was produced by Rob Simmons.

Continue Reading