Attack of the Killer Shrews! is now available on DVD!

Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.
meatball37
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Attack of the Killer Shrews! is now available on DVD!

Post by meatball37 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:51 pm

White Lion Studios, LLC has just released their horror/comedy Attack of the Killer Shrews! on DVD. “It’s our first product as a company, and after selling multiple films, we really wanted to self-distribute this one,” says director and CEO Ken Cosentino, “we have future plans for these characters and we own the universe.” The characters of whom Ken speaks include the snarky Professor Perry (Jonathan Rogers), B-Movie Starlet Fiona Rae (the hilarious Elizabeth Houlihan), and small town Sheriff Martin Blake (bug-eyed comedian Bill Kennedy). Stealing the show with his solo performance is stunt man turned actor Baird Hageman as the wild motorcycle-riding Wayne, who is Martin’s deputy, “and his cousin.”

The 1959 cult-classic The Killer Shrews is famous for the filmmaker’s use of bad puppetry and coon hounds wearing shrew costumes. In Ken Cosentino’s newly released remake, the puppetry is worse than ever and yes, there is a dog wearing a bathroom mop. ”That’s the scene everyone is talking about,” says the film’s 27 year old writer/director, “that and the stop-motion intro to the film.” The opening sequence that Ken is referring to “plays out like a low-rent Tim Burton” scene, according to Kevan Farrow of the UK’s Scream Magazine. Of this, Cosentino says, “Scream Magazine loved us so much; they put Attack of the Killer Shrews on the cover of their most recent issue….right next to John Carpenter and Bruce Campbell.”

In November, Attack of the Killer Shrews! took home two awards at the Buffalo Dreams Fantastic Film Festival: Best Western New York Comedy Feature and Best Western New York Actor (Elizabeth Houlihan). The packed screening was hosted by President of Troma Entertainment Lloyd Kaufman, who also has a cameo in the film. The newly released DVD contains a deleted scene involving Lloyd, masturbation, a dog and a crackpipe. “Ken Cosentino is a brilliant director,” says Kaufman who first met Ken on Troma’s Return to Return to Class of Nuke ‘Em High Volume 1 & Volume 2. “Troma has a history of finding young, talented filmmakers, including Trey Parker and James Gunn, and I believe Ken Cosentino will have his place among them,” says Kaufman.

Also included in the DVD is feature commentary, a behind-the-scenes feature, deleted scenes and closed-captioning. “I hid some Easter Eggs when I did the closed-captioning,” smirks Cosentino, who had the painstaking process of typing the closed-captioning for the film; he continues “I did it because I want viewers who are hearing impaired to be able to watch and enjoy Shrews, and I wanted to give them something extra with the Easter Eggs.” The DVD is $12 plus shipping and can be found at www.killershrewmovie.com.