Scream/Shout Factory

Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.
travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: Scream/Shout Factory

Post by travisbickle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 am

SDCC announcements...

PUNISH!!!!!

SNDN (of course) and Misery for me. Might grab Drag Me To Hell if the extras are really good. Never got around to getting the current Blu.

The Strangers?... :lol: Why Scream Factory... why? Awful fucking movie.

They're also releasing Joe Dante's Matinee under their Shout select line.

^Getting that for sure.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 am

SNDN better have some good extras

BrotherofTears
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by BrotherofTears » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

Looking forward to their releases of Drag Me to Hell, Misery and Silent Night, Deadly Night. If the latter sells well maybe they'll do the rest of the series as well. I'm tired of the same old VHS transfers of 3-5.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Details on the upcoming SNDN dics.

New transfer and new extras
This Christmas is going to be extra naughty.

At Comic-Con over the weekend, Scream Factory announced a host of horror films they’ll soon be bringing to Blu-ray, including The Strangers and Drag Me to Hell. Most exciting for me personally was the reveal that 1984 holiday slasher Silent Night, Deadly Night is joining the Scream Factory collection in time for Christmas this year, and we’ve got some more details today.

First up, frequent Scream Factory collaborator Justin Beahm took to Facebook to announce that he’s working on the release, noting that he is “packing the disc with great new content, finally giving this film the deluxe treatment it deserves.”

This is especially great news, as Anchor Bays’s recent 30th Anniversary Blu-ray of the film was very light on special features. Aside from a new commentary track, the disc simply ported over the minimal features from previous releases, which was a huge bummer.

But what about the transfer? Anchor Bay’s aforementioned Blu-ray, like their previous DVD release, contained the “unrated version” of the film, and the unrated scenes looked as awful as they did on DVD. The poor quality of those scenes, in comparison to the rest of the movie, makes them stick out like a sore thumb, which is another reason why the 30th anniversary offering left much to be desired.

More good news? In a lengthy interview about all the upcoming releases with Blumhouse today, Scream Factory’s Jeff Nelson and Cliff MacMillan teased a better transfer than we’ve ever seen before.

“We do have the original negative, so we will be doing a new scan from the negative, so we will have a nice, beautiful new transfer,” said MacMillan. “We also have a whole slew of extras that are in production right now. I think what we’ll deliver is the ultimate version of a classic Christmas horror title.”

Nelson added, “Yes, the last Blu-Ray and DVD releases of this film left a lot to be desired. We see a path to be able to correct that.”

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 pm

It would be awesome if the uncut footage doesn't look like total shit.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 pm

travisbickle wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 pm
It would be awesome if the uncut footage doesn't look like total shit.
I haven't seen that footage but I hear it's pretty rubbish. Hopefully SF cleans it all up. By the sounds of it they are.

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:10 pm

This came from the guy who usually does the extras for most of SF's releases...
Originally Posted by Michael Felsher, Red Shirt Pictures
I can tell about Silent Night, Deadly Night... I am not working on that title... my friend Justin Beahm is working on Silent Night, Deadly Night, but I will tell you this; it's going to have all new extras that he's doing. He's really dedicated to this title; he's been wanting to do it for a long time. They have the original negative; they have the uncut negative for Silent Night, Deadly Night... so this will not be... the situation I was just talking about, where you have a nice looking movie with these kind of VHS quality inserts. That will not be the case with the upcoming Silent Night, Deadly Night. This is an all new thing that is going to look absolutely fantastic... or at least as fantastic as Silent Night, Deadly Night can look.
FUCK.....YES!!! This looks like it's going to end up being the be all, end all release I was hoping for.