Upcoming Blu-Ray/DVD releases

Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.
Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: Upcoming Blu-Ray/DVD releases

Post by Sea Hag » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:48 am

travisbickle wrote:LONG overdue....

September 20th

It's going to be an expensive couple of months coming up.
Yes!!

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:40 am

One of my fav's getting the 4K treatment!
In celebration of its 30th anniversary, HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER returns with a thrilling, cinematic presentation that cements its reputation as one of the most harrowing and original American films of all time. Dark Sky Films, a division of MPI Media Group, proudly presents it in a brand-new 4K scan and restoration from the 16mm original camera negatives, and featuring a new 5.1 audio mix from the stereo 35mm mag reels, all approved by director John McNaughton.
Quote:
It was a true game-changer, a film so upsetting in its blunt depiction of an amoral murderer that it made the slasher films of its time look like cartoons by comparison. HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER became a lightning rod in heated debates about cinema and censorship but has only grown in stature since its first showing in 1986. Now, on the 30th anniversary of its momentous debut, it returns in a 4K restoration rerelease nationwide via Dark Sky Films, with major theatrical engagements to begin on October 21, 2016.

The film will come “home” on October 14, 2016, as Dark Sky partners with the Chicago International Film Festival for a large-scale event including a festival red-carpet premiere and a Q&A with star Michael Rooker and director John McNaughton in attendance.

HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER is a chilling profile of a cold-blooded killer that, 30 years after its historic festival premiere, has lost none of its power to shock. The film, loosely based on a true story, has been hailed as one of the most disturbing and terrifying examinations of mass murderers ever filmed. Henry (Michael Rooker, The Walking Dead) is a psychopathic drifter who has coldly murdered a number of people for no particular reason and without any remorse. Leaving bodies in his wake, Henry makes his way to Chicago, where his he settles into the run-down apartment of his drug-dealing former prison friend and occasional roommate Otis (Tom Towles).

Also moving into the space is Otis’s younger sister Becky (Tracy Arnold), who is fleeing her abusive husband. As she fends off her brother’s incestuous advances, Becky finds herself attracted to Henry – unaware that he, along with Otis, are continuing their murderous rampage.

Director John McNaughton completed the film in 1986, and it was shown at that year’s Chicago International Film Festival. But it wasn’t until 1990 that a U.S. distributor was brave enough to give it a wide release. Henry predates the NC-17 rating and received its predecessor, the X rating, on three separate occasions. As a result of it and related issues with Almodovar’s “Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down,” Phillip Kaufman’s “Henry & June” and Peter Greenaway’s “the Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover,” the MPAA created the NC-17 as its replacement on 9/26/1990. Henry’s current rating is “X (Surrendered)” though a renewed rating is pending. The film’s violence, and the clinical, detached portrayal of Henry by the unforgettable Michael Rooker, originally earned it the MPAA’s highly restrictive NC-17 rating.

The response from both critics and the public was as visceral as the film itself, and it went on to gain praise as one of the most compelling and disturbing films of modern cinema.

Hopefully it plays somewhere in FL. Would love to see this on the big screen.

McStuffin
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by McStuffin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Godzilla 1984

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016 ... releasing/

Title: THE RETURN OF GODZILLA
Published by: Kraken Releasing
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Age Rating: TV PG (V)
Run Time: 103 Minutes
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
Number of Discs: 1
Street Date: 9/13/2016
Blu-ray UPC: 814131015594
DVD UPC: 814131011299
Blu-ray SRP: $14.98
DVD SRP: $9.98

The official press release…

May 19, 2016 — You can’t keep a good giant monster down, especially when he’s being very, very bad! Kraken Releasing is proud to continue the tradition of releasing the very best in kaiju (giant monster) entertainment with the first U.S. release of the complete and uncut THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® (aka GODZILLA™ (1984))! Available on both Blu-ray and DVD, and featuring both the original Japanese version with English subtitles, as well as an English dubbed version, this special release is the Godzilla® epic that fans and collectors have been waiting for.

With a higher budget and more advanced special effects than any previous film in the series, THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® returns Japan’s greatest monster to his intended role as an epic force of destruction and the film’s spectacular success re-launched the Godzilla® franchise after nearly a decade in suspended animation.

Unfortunately for North American audiences, this direct sequel to the original 1954 feature film has previously only been available in a highly edited version that cut over twenty minutes of original footage and effects, changed key plot points and altered the dark dramatic tone and narrative by inserting additional scenes and humor in an attempt to “Americanize” the film. But now, at long last, the acclaimed kaiju masterpiece finally hits American shores in all its uncut original glory! Get ready for the biggest Godzilla® epic that you’ve never seen as Kraken Releasing unleashes the complete and unedited THE RETURN OF GODZILLA®!

THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® will be released on September 13th.

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:31 pm

TAXI DRIVER RETURNS TO CINEMAS FOR ITS 40TH ANNIVERSARY,​
FOLLOWED BY ALL-NEW ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY™​

Fathom Events Presents the Cinematic Masterpiece in Movie Theaters Nationwide on October 16 and 19, Including Exclusive Q&A Footage with Its Cast and Creators

4K Restoration with All-New Bonus Content Featuring Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster Comes to Blu-ray™ November 8​

CULVER CITY, Calif. (September 12, 2016) – For its 40th anniversary, the landmark classic TAXI DRIVER returns to U.S. cinemas for two days only this October through Fathom Events, followed by an all-new Blu-ray™ release from
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in November.

Regularly cited by critics, film directors, and audiences alike as one of the greatest films of all time, TAXI DRIVER won the prestigious Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival (1976) and was nominated for four Academy Awards®, including Best Picture* (1976). The film stars Robert De Niro in Martin Scorsese’s unforgettable tale of a psychotic New York cabbie driven to violence by loneliness and desperation. The acclaimed cast also includes Jodie Foster, Albert Brooks, Harvey Keitel, Peter Boyle and Cybill Shepherd.

To celebrate the milestone anniversary, the digitally restored TAXI DRIVER will return to the big screen for two days only, on October 16 and 19 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time both days. Presented by Fathom Events, these special screenings will include never-before-released 10 minutes of Q&A with the film’s cast and crew, recorded at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival. In this discussion, exclusive to the Fathom Events screenings, director Scorsese, screenwriter Paul Schrader, producer Michael Phillips, and stars De Niro, Foster, Keitel and Shepherd recall the making and influence of the groundbreaking 1976 film. Tickets for the Fathom Events presentation of TAXI DRIVER are available beginning September 16 at http://www.FathomEvents.com and participating theater box offices.

Following the theatrical re-release, the timeless masterpiece will return to Blu-ray™ November 8 as a 2-disc set, presented in high definition stemming from the film’s 4K restoration, which was supervised by Director Martin Scorsese and Cinematographer Michael Chapman.

In addition to the hours of legacy special features that highlight and delve into this cinematic milestone, the
TAXI DRIVER: 40th ANNIVERSARY Blu-ray will feature the full 40-minute Q&A from the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival, for more of Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Paul Schrader and the assembled panel reminiscing on the classic film.

Synopsis:

A mentally unstable Vietnam War veteran works as a night-time taxi driver in New York City where the perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge for violent action, attempting to save a preadolescent prostitute in the process.

Directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Paul Schrader, TAXI DRIVER was produced by Michael Phillips and
Julia Phillips.

Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:

DISC ONE

ALL-NEW: 40-Minute TAXI DRIVER Q&A Featuring Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster and many more. Recorded live at the Beacon Theatre in New York City at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival

Interactive Script to Screen

Original 1986 Commentary with Director Martin Scorsese and Writer Paul Schrader recorded by The Criterion Collection

Commentaries by Writer Paul Schrader and by Professor Robert Kolker

Martin Scorsese on TAXI DRIVER

Producing TAXI DRIVER

God’s Lonely Man

TAXI DRIVER Stories

Travis’ New York

Travis’ New York Locations

Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO

Making of Documentary

Storyboard to Film Comparisons with Martin Scorsese Introduction

Animated Photo Galleries
Finally get to see my favorite movie on the big screen. 8-)

And the Blu is as good as bought. Love the original poster art.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 am

^^Picking that up for sure.

Travis, have you seen the Scorsese exhibition that's been doing the rounds. It recently left my city. The Taxi Driver section would blow your mind. Heaps of original storyboards and on set photos on display.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Attack on Titan: The Movie Part 2 - Officially announced by Funimation as available 12-6-16!
http://shop.funimation.com/Live-Action- ... itan+Image

And Part 1 comes out Oct. 4!

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:11 pm

gunsrazorsknives wrote:Travis, have you seen the Scorsese exhibition that's been doing the rounds. It recently left my city. The Taxi Driver section would blow your mind. Heaps of original storyboards and on set photos on display.
Yeah, looks pretty cool.

Hopefully it comes to the US.

Harrenhal
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Harrenhal » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:54 am

gunsrazorsknives wrote:^^Picking that up for sure.

Travis, have you seen the Scorsese exhibition that's been doing the rounds. It recently left my city. The Taxi Driver section would blow your mind. Heaps of original storyboards and on set photos on display.
Aeons ago I once attendend a Kubrick exhibition, I think it was called "A Life In Pictures". It was surely one of the most exciting and memorable exhibtions I have ever been at. They had props and original equipment from all of his movies, including Jack Nicholsons typewriter, along with the batch of written paper with the famous line "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". Al original. It wasn't even secured within a box, it was right in reach. I was sooo tempted to grab one sheet from that batch, there were even moments when the corner was unattended by security. But I chickened out, didn't have the final guts to grab one. I regret this decisions to this day. :?
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything, if I had a penis for one day. Oh man, I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Voodoo Dolly

travisbickle
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by travisbickle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

November 22nd...

Return of the Living Dead 3 (Vestron Video Collection) (Blu-Ray)

A young man uses a secret government chemical and program to reanimate his dead girlfriend, and helps her as she consumes the only thing that will nourish her—human brains.

PRODUCT DETAIL

In RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD: PART II, the chemical Trioxin turned people into flesh-eating zombies. Now, the government is trying to control these unstoppable cannibalistic killers in RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 3. When a young man uses the chemical to bring his girlfriend back to life after a motorcycle accident, she is driven to eat the only thing that will nourish her... human brains! She tries to stop her own feeding frenzy but a chain reaction has already begun, as hordes of undead are unleashed from their graves!

Key Selling Points:
• UNRATED VERSION!
• First time on Blu-ray
• Limited edition Collector's Series!
• NEW Vestron Video Collector's Edition packaging!
• Restored and remastered
• Packed with special features including: multiple audio commentaries, interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and more!

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary with Director Brian Yuzna
• Audio Commentary with Actress Melinda Clarke and Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Rainone
• A Conversation with Director Brian Yuzna and Screenwriter John Penney
• Interview with Special Effects Artist Steve Johnson
• Interview with Producer David Tripet
• Still Gallery
• Theatrical Trailers

No. of Discs: 1
Screen Format: WideScreen
Language/Subtitles: English, English SDH
Audio: 5.1 DTS-HD MA
Rating: UR
Run Time: 97

Harrenhal
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Harrenhal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Jeez, finally! We have been waiting for ages now. But who the hell Vestron Video Collection anyway? Never heard of them before...
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything, if I had a penis for one day. Oh man, I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Voodoo Dolly