Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74) VS Dawn Of The Dead (78)

General talk about movies, tv, etc.
Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74) VS Dawn Of The Dead (78)

Post by Decimus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

I've seen both so many times over the last four weeks.

In remembrance and in the name of classic playtime.

You need to really make a statement and define one personally... as your #1 view.

Which one is superior?

Dawn. I can't ....

Willowfang
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74) VS Dawn Of The Dead (78)

Post by Willowfang » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Both are classics, but I'd have to go with Dawn just cause Zombies, for me, Zombies > Chainsaws

Tho what makes them great:

Dawn is pretty matter of fact, it doesn't try to be "a movie" it doesn't play out like a start-middle-end entertainment piece. It shows us what the world has come to after NOTLD. If it was just a start-middle-end construction, it could be easily replaced with a more exciting adventure piece

TCM is nice and stark, very grindhouse, it shows us not just straight up horror, but all the things we all feared might happen to us. We could have felt the fear of becoming Leatherface OR the victims in it due to our confusion of what we were or might become due to Vietnam, the Coldwar, "The Big One." Was all our humanity slowly disappearing due to things in our past we might never erase?

Both are true social classics
Last edited by Willowfang on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It was the cow...

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:04 pm

now i see, deci.

i prefer dawn of he dead to the texas chainsaw masscre, but they're both amazing intense movies that filled with delirious, entertaining satire. they are satire. they're also both allegorical, and each manages these tricks without sacrificing what they are: horror movies.

rip, george and tobe.
horror draft 2017

1. eaten alive
2. ava's possessions
3. starry eyes
4. attack the block
5. xx
6. transfiguration
7. leviathan
8. phenomena

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

If you're talking straight watchability, I guess Dawn takes the cake because it's a way more fun movie. But TCM has the whole cultural significance thing going for it. It tapped into something at just the right time and changed the horror genre for good. To this day I still have the same visceral response to it, the overall oppressive tone of the film, to evoke the sense of extreme violence occuring without showing more than a drop of blood - that's effective horror filmmaking. That's also why I immediately oppose any sequels or prequels or reboots or whatever the hell, because all they do is reduce the legacy of that movie to "durrr Leatherface slicing people up durrr it a chainsaw brr-brrrr", when in actuality, that was a minor detail to the original movie. Hell, only one character actually died that way. Should never have been a franchise, period.

TCM might be my fav horror of all time tbh

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:04 pm
now i see, deci.

rip, george and tobe.
8-) 8-)

:( R.I.P.

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

TCM has the whole cultural significance thing going for it. It tapped into something at just the right time and changed the horror genre for good. To this day I still have the same visceral response to it, the overall oppressive tone of the film, to evoke the sense of extreme violence occuring without showing more than a drop of blood - that's effective horror filmmaking. period.

TCM might be my fav horror of all time tbh
I respect that.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Kind of a toss up for me. I like the story of Dawn better, but I also find that movie a bit long and boring in parts. Overall I guess TCM would edge it out for me.

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Willowfang wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm
Both are classics, but I'd have to go with Dawn just cause Zombies, for me, Zombies > Chainsaws

Tho what makes them great:

Dawn is pretty matter of fact, it doesn't try to be "a movie" it doesn't play out like a start-middle-end entertainment piece. It shows us what the world has come to after NOTLD. If is was just a start-middle-end construction, it could be easily replaced with a more exciting adventure piece

TCM is nice and stark, very grindhouse, it shows us not just straight up horror, but all the things we all feared might happen to us. We could have felt the fear of becoming Leatherface OR the victims in it due to our confusion of what we were or might become due to Vietnam, the Coldwar, "The Big One." Was all our humanity slowly disappearing due to things in our past we might never erase?

Both are true social classics
8-)

Orville Ketchum
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Orville Ketchum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm

This is a tough one. Dawn of the Dead by a hair, considering the scope of the film.

Both of these directors more than left their imprint in the industry. R.I.P. <3