Re: mother

Post by Decimus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 pm
Decimus wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Atmosphere wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 pm
OK, I'll admit when I am wrong, Lawrence wound up being the best thing in this movie, much to my surprise. Her best work to date. :lol:

Sad to report that the movie is a disaster, though. A few years ago I probably would have ate this shit up, but the religious allegory was far too on the nose to ever really get my mind wandering. All this talk of the movie being a brainfuck is total hyperbole, and only because this is essentially a mainstream movie. But there's nothing here that is particularly challenging if you know even a little about theology and parables and frankly, just have a bit of common sense. Interestingly enough, there's actually a few different readings you could give for Mother, but part of the problem is that Aronofsky and Lawrence have been so hellbent on explaining what the movie is really about (the destruction of nature angle) that it begs the question: didn't they believe in this enough that they could just put it out there and say "job done" and leave all that work for us? At the end of the day, when the guy who made the thing is telling you what to take from it, the film suddenly becomes very transparent.

It's a shame because there's good things in Mother, but I never could quite shake the feeling that the whole thing was constructed to flatter our inner art student and divide those who didn't get it or were appalled by some of its more outlandish and gruesome moments, with those who are part of the 'in the know' club. I'm all for deciphering a movie, but this was textbook stuff and really not that interesting.

But good job J-Law. She needs to seriously stay away from franchises and cinematic universes, cut the dumb and zany public persona and just focus on acting for a bit, because this proves that if she puts her mind to it, she can deliver.
you've traversed every channel to safeguard yourself from personal criticism and I agree Jen's performance is great, but mother! is one of the best films of 2017.
How so? Because I said I liked Jen's performance? I'm confused.
No.

Don't be confused. I get that you didn't like it.

It's OK.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Decimus wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:44 pm
I'm shocked you hated it Guns. :(

It's an unbelievable compulsive shotgun blast of mental illness.
I'll definitely need a rewatch lol

Mr. Bill
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Mr. Bill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 am

horrorking95
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by horrorking95 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I can see why some people hate it, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Just absolute insanity, masterfully executed. Films like this don't come around too often. However, it's still not as great as Requiem for a Dream or Black Swan.

horrorking95
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by horrorking95 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm

A lot of it is incredibly funny too which people don't seem to be talking about!

Tom Riddle
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Tom Riddle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm

gunsrazorsknives wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 am
Damn this looks intense, plus Michelle Pfieffer. Im in !!

You are in whom Exactly??? :P 8-)

0Father0Satan0Sun
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by 0Father0Satan0Sun » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 am

I still couldn't get why people were excited for this movie. From what I have seen from the trailer, it looked like crap but a weird one. Sorry, I have no interest in watching it.

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

0Father0Satan0Sun wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 am
I still couldn't get why people were excited for this movie. From what I have seen from the trailer, it looked like crap but a weird one. Sorry, I have no interest in watching it.
Wait aren't you the guy who's always complaining about remakes and studios not taking risks with new intellectual properties?

I hated Mother, but there was never a scenario where I was not going to see the film, because it's Aronofsky working in the horror genre. I can say many negative things about the movie, but I can at least admit that it was a huge (and in hindsight, foolhardy) gamble opening it wide. By your logic, I thought you'd welcome something like this with open arms.

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm
0Father0Satan0Sun wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 am
Wait aren't you the guy who's always complaining about remakes and studios not taking risks with new intellectual properties?

I hated Mother, but there was never a scenario where I was not going to see the film, because it's Aronofsky working in the horror genre. I can say many negative things about the movie, but I can at least admit that it was a huge (and in hindsight, foolhardy) gamble opening it wide. By your logic, I thought you'd welcome something like this with open arms.
This is somebody who has no interest in watching a film because of what he's seen from the trailer. Why even entertain him?

edit

Gotta live up to my rep here and say we are better than that