Connect with us

Movies

Frankenstein-like Mist Transforms in ‘Night and Fog’

Published

on

Originally announced back in March of 2008, Studio 407 (“Hybrid”) announced today that their sci-fi horror property Night and Fog has been optioned for film by renown producer Gil Adler and Shane McCarthy. No stranger to comic book material, Adler has produced such comic book films as “Constantine,” “Superman Returns,” as well most recently “Dead of Night” which was based on the popular Italian comic book Dylan Dog. Read on for the full release info.
This material is definitely in my strike zone in more ways than one,” said Adler. “And having produced the “Tales from the Crypt” series and some Dark Castle horror films, I can say horror’s a genre I know intrinsically. But what really appealed to me wasn’t so much the genre trappings, but rather the characters that really drive this story.

Tied to an unsolved mystery from World War 2, Night and Fog, tells the story of a “Frankenstein” like infectious mist unleashed on a military base that transforms its victims into preternatural creatures of the night. But when the survivors try to kill them, they adapt and change into something even more horrific and unstoppable. Caught in between, is a security officer on the base who must escape this gauntlet of horror to save his children before the creatures kill them or the fog infects them.

Added Adler: “When I read this I knew I had to take it off the market. It’s a great high-concept that blends the gothic horror of the Hammer films with the sci-fi horror of “Aliens” and “The Thing” .

We’re really excited to see Gil’s take on the story,” remarked Studio 407 Managing director Alex Leung. “We’re also honored to be working with an experienced guy like Gil, who knows how to play up iconic figures and can tie them into a horror setting. He’s the perfect person to bring Night and Fog to life.

Adler and McCarthy are also working together to produce the adaptation of “Havana Nocturne” along with Eric Eisner, and recently optioned Ken Bruen’s crime thriller “Tower.” Leung will also serve as a producer on the film, having worked on Jackie Chan’s “Around the World in 80 Days” as an associate producer, and most recently executive produced the horror film “Hunter” with Stallion Media (“Punisher: WarZone”).

Night and Fog is currently available in comic shops in the single issue format and digitally on I-Phone through Comixology. It will be hitting stores in a trade format April/May 2010.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Movies

‘Ready or Not’: Radio Silence Filmmakers Tease the “Absolute Banger” of a Sequel That’s Taking Shape

Published

on

It was first reported a couple weeks ago that Ready or Not 2 is now in development, with Adam Robitel (The Taking of Deborah Logan, Insidious: The Last Key, Escape Room, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions) in talks to direct the sequel to the 2019 box office hit. Additionally, we had learned that Samara Weaving would be returning to star.

Entertainment Weekly caught up with Ready or Not directors Tyler Gillett and Matt Bettinelli-Olpin in the wake of those reports, and we’ve now got an update straight from the source.

“It’s getting figured out. That’s what we’ll say: Ready or Not 2 is getting figured out,” Gillett tells EW, confirming last month’s report. “What we can say is that there is a script that is an absolute fucking banger of a sequel. And however it gets made, and in whatever capacity we are helping get it made, we are so excited that it’s happening.”

“I don’t think we knew after making [Ready or Not] that there would be so much story left to tell,” Gillett continues. “We’re so proud of what that first movie is, we’re so proud of what the sequel is. We’re just really excited, and fingers crossed that it gets made.” Bettinelli-Olpin adds, “And with Searchlight and Samara, they’re not gonna let it down.”

The first film introduced a mythology wherein the wealthy Le Domas family has made a deal with the devil, one that requires them to take part in bizarre – and deadly – wedding night traditions. There’s much that can be done with the premise going forward, even if the first movie ended with Weaving’s Grace massacring the family and burning down their estate.

Wikipedia reminds, “The sole survivor of the night, Grace walks out of the burning manor just as the police arrive. Upon asking her what happened, she simply replies: in-laws.”

Samara Weaving

Continue Reading